cPanel full restore help please

dusty832

Registered
Jan 19, 2011
I just bought a website and I'm going to host it on my server. I made a full cPanel back up. I thought it would be as easy clicking restore in cPanel but I guess not.

I do have root access on my server, most tuts I have read are little confusing for a novice. I am completely lost here.

Thanks in advance.

cPanelDon

cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
Staff member
Nov 5, 2008
Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
I just bought a website and I'm going to host it on my server. I made a full cPanel back up. I thought it would be as easy clicking restore in cPanel but I guess not.

I do have root access on my server, most tuts I have read are little confusing for a novice. I am completely lost here.

Thanks in advance.
A full account backup, depending on where it's located on the server, can be restored using a few different methods. I recommend placing the backup into the "/home" directory path on the server, then using WebHost Manager (WHM) to perform the restore via the following menu path (with linked documentation): WHM: Main >> Backup >> Restore a Full Backup/cpmove file

Is the full backup already uploaded to the server?

EDIT: Sorry; I had initially misread your message as "I do not have root access" rather than "I do have root access." My original response would apply only to those without "root" access to the system.
cPanelDon said:
A home directory backup can be restored via cPanel, but a full account backup would need to be uploaded and then the hosting provider would need to perform the restore on your behalf. A full account backup cannot be restored by the cPanel account user because there is data involved that can only be managed via "root" (Administrator) access; just one example would be the potential for inadvertently restoring reseller ACLs or privileges that determine whether or not the cPanel user has access to WebHost Manager (WHM).

I recommend uploading the full account backup into your home directory and then asking your hosting provider to simply restore the desired information.

Last edited:

cPanelDon

cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
Staff member
Nov 5, 2008
Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
An often easier alternative to obtaining backups and then restoring accounts is to transfer cPanel accounts using WebHost Manager (WHM). This can be performed with or without root access to the original server, but having root access helps significantly to ensure a successful copy of all necessary data without any access restrictions. Transferring accounts without root access relies upon the cPanel username and password of the original account on the source server; while this will work most of the time, it should be used only as a last resort when root access is not available as this method is more sensitive to interference depending on the precise circumstances involved, including the configuration of the source server, which may not be possible to workaround.

Related menu paths (and documentation) for WebHost Manager: