The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel full restore help please

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dusty832, Jan 19, 2011.

1. dusty832

dusty832 Registered

I just bought a website and I'm going to host it on my server. I made a full cPanel back up. I thought it would be as easy clicking restore in cPanel but I guess not.

I do have root access on my server, most tuts I have read are little confusing for a novice. I am completely lost here.

Thanks in advance.

2. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    A full account backup, depending on where it's located on the server, can be restored using a few different methods. I recommend placing the backup into the "/home" directory path on the server, then using WebHost Manager (WHM) to perform the restore via the following menu path (with linked documentation): WHM: Main >> Backup >> Restore a Full Backup/cpmove file

Is the full backup already uploaded to the server?

EDIT: Sorry; I had initially misread your message as "I do not have root access" rather than "I do have root access." My original response would apply only to those without "root" access to the system.

#2 cPanelDon, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  3. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    An often easier alternative to obtaining backups and then restoring accounts is to transfer cPanel accounts using WebHost Manager (WHM). This can be performed with or without root access to the original server, but having root access helps significantly to ensure a successful copy of all necessary data without any access restrictions. Transferring accounts without root access relies upon the cPanel username and password of the original account on the source server; while this will work most of the time, it should be used only as a last resort when root access is not available as this method is more sensitive to interference depending on the precise circumstances involved, including the configuration of the source server, which may not be possible to workaround.

Related menu paths (and documentation) for WebHost Manager: