Damian

Oct 1, 2001
Thanks Visiba, that achieved the result I wanted for now. My clients never change the theme generally, but this prompt raised questions and some tried it.

This is actually a good to option to leave permanently. Will make support easier too as we don't have to cater for alternate displays in the theme.

Thanks!

Hedloff

Jun 7, 2004
Up north!
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
We do have an API to handle this:

Code:
whmapi1 set_default type='default' name='base'

"base" is the modern Paper Lantern we all know and love :D
Seems like "base" is now "basic", so your docs needs to be updated.

Code:
# whmapi1 set_default type='default' name='base'
---
metadata:
  command: set_default
  reason: The 'base' style does not exist.
  result: 0
  version: 1

:~# whmapi1 set_default type='default' name='basic'
---
metadata:
  command: set_default
  reason: OK
  result: 1
  version: 1

stormy

Nov 22, 2003
Spain
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
This is appalling. At first I thought it was broken, but no. You removed all the icons that help navigate the functions and are user friendly. Just to get a list of links? It feels like we're back in 1999!

I don't get it. Why do you make changes to our defaults? Why do you insist on advertising this so-called theme to our customers? This is very weird.

Metro2

May 24, 2006
USA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I really wish we could get rid of the " Introducing our new style, Glass. A clean, elegant take on our classic design. Try it out. Let us know what you think. " notice in user cPanels globally without disabling the "Change Style" feature.

Could cPanel please provide a way to dismiss the message on all accounts without having to log into each one?

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
At this time I don't have a global method available. I've reached out to the User Experience team to see if they have any other options that I'm not aware of, or if this is something they plan to add. I'll reply back once I know for sure.

stormy

Nov 22, 2003
Spain
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I need to remove that even if it means hacking the cPanel files to delete it, and do it again on every update. Plus, my customers don't speak English so it doesn't make any sense...

EDIT: the file that needs to be modified is:
/usr/local/cpanel/base/frontend/paper_lantern/home/index.tt

A simple
Code:
style="display:none;"
in the right place will cure the problem until the next cPanel update...

Last edited:

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I spoke with the user experience team and this one-line will work to remove that for existing accounts:

Code:
echo '{"personalization":{"xmainNewStyleBannerDismissed":"1"}}' | uapi --user=username --input=json --output=json Personalization set
For new domains created in the future, you can do the following to permanently set this up:

Code:
mkdir -pv /root/cpanel3-skel/.cpanel/nvdata/
echo -n "1" > /root/cpanel3-skel/.cpanel/nvdata/xmainNewStyleBannerDismissed
and that will keep that banner from being present in new accounts.

Reactions: AzeDK

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I've created the following article here if you'd like to have this information all in one place for reference:

Reactions: AzeDK

Matt.R

Nov 18, 2018
United Kingdom
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
HATE this new style (emphasis on hate there... did you notice..) :mad:

Not quite sure how it can be called a "style" as it has no style.

Sorry but it's just awful.

IMPORTANTLY: 'Retro' style is being removed during this change over. Why? It might be a little "old fashioned" but an enormous number of our clients use that style and deliberatly switch to it. Think it should stay.

Last edited:
Reactions: Krx

Matt.R

Nov 18, 2018
United Kingdom
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Ah... thank you, much appreciated.

Doesn't detract from the intention that the Glass style will be the default. Utter bonkers.

And why call it "Glass" ? Any theme I've seen that has 'glass' in it's description tends to have transparent elements or "glass like" icons. This is just... (Matt shrugs) ... just text ??

UserJohnT

Registered
Jul 11, 2019
Europe
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
About the removal of the retro design.

It was the most intuitive and straightforward interface for some, where we can find exactly what
we looking for quickly and effectively without the stupid "always modern always in" plague,
and with option to choose classic for those, who liked it more.
I work in cPanel, i don't play there.

To this day, some of us have choice, now you removing it.

Instead of focusing on really important aspects of cPanel features, like multi user acess
and WHM global spam filters with adding numbering to spam filter in spam logs (so we finally know
which filter discarding what), you focusing on new design and removing old one, which was clear
and intuitive.

Let us work and stop intrude what we content with.
Don't touch our retro or let us use it with existing features.

Metro2

May 24, 2006
USA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I spoke with the user experience team and this one-line will work to remove that for existing accounts:

Code:
echo '{"personalization":{"xmainNewStyleBannerDismissed":"1"}}' | uapi --user=username --input=json --output=json Personalization set
Thank you. Where exactly does that command need to be run? Doesn't work from SSH.

stormy

Nov 22, 2003
Spain
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
This is just run as the root user from SSH. Did you get an error when you tried this?
Of course, because "You do not have a user named “username”."

Doesn't this need to loop through all the users? I've seen similar code in the forum in the past, something like taking usernames from /var/cpanel/users. I'm not a coder though.

It would be great if you could provide the code including the loop so it runs on all existin users.

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Yes, you would need to update the "username" portion of the command.

There's a lot of examples of API calls looping through all the users on the machine throughout the forums. I usually use something like this to pull a master username list:

Code:
cat /etc/trueuserdomains | awk {'print $2'}
so you could use something like this for the whole command:

Code:
for i in `cat /etc/trueuserdomains | awk {'print $2'}`; do echo '{"personalization":{"xmainNewStyleBannerDismissed":"1"}}' | uapi --user=$i --input=json --output=json Personalization set; done
That will loop through all the users and set the value to "1" properly in that file without any extraneous carriage returns or extra data.

Reactions: Metro2 and stormy