Michael Kern

Registered
PartnerNOC
Apr 19, 2016
Tulsa, Oklahoma
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
-5 out of 10. I can't even express how disappointed I am in this.... AND it was made the default on all my cPanel installs.... So not only is it horrible, I now have to login into every WHM and update it back to the normal one. Someone took bring my kid to work day too seriously.

Last edited:
Reactions: feldon27 and AzeDK

webmasterie

Registered
Jun 10, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
I just have to add my two cents, absolutely terrible new theme. I think clean would be more like remove the text and just have super cool icons. I mean you can get around so much faster with icons and without the text you would have more real estate for a cleaner look. If thats what you are looking for, but sometimes just minor updates to an existing successful theme are all that is needed. This theme I'm afraid is an abomination.

Reactions: sevenokve and AzeDK

clopezi

Mar 17, 2013
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
One more user here who thinks that the template without icons it's ugly and difficult to use. Would be more easy to use (please, don't do it) without text than without icons. In first place, I thought that the page was not fully loaded.

I like the global aesthetic, but please make and option to have icons with this style.

Thanks!

Reactions: AzeDK

cPJustinD

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 12, 2021
Houston
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello clopezi! We greatly appreciate your feedback. If you have any ideas or suggestions for improving the Glass theme, please submit a feature request using the "Submit a Feature Request" link in my signature below.

In. the meantime, you should be able to change the theme for users using the following command:

Code:
/usr/local/cpanel/scripts/modify_accounts --theme=paper_lantern --all-users --style=basic

clopezi

Mar 17, 2013
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello clopezi! We greatly appreciate your feedback. If you have any ideas or suggestions for improving the Glass theme, please submit a feature request using the "Submit a Feature Request" link in my signature below.

In. the meantime, you should be able to change the theme for users using the following command:

Code:
/usr/local/cpanel/scripts/modify_accounts --theme=paper_lantern --all-users --style=basic
Thanks for the tip, @cPJustinD

My main feedback, as many others users, it's make a Glass version with icons. I don't doubt that many people like it without icons, but I'm confident that most users would like a lot more with icons.

Thank you!

Reactions: AzeDK and cPJustinD

Cwarrent

Registered
Sep 4, 2018
United Kingdom
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I've already given feedback via the official channels but just to say that without icons you have to work so hard to find what you're looking for so hopefully this can be tweaked with icons then it'll likely be decent improvement.

I was ignoring things a little but now it's live on all new cPanel accounts I felt the need to further feedback.

Reactions: AzeDK and cPJustinD

tvcnet

PartnerNOC
Aug 15, 2003
San Diego
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Without a doubt, the worst design decision cPanel has made in the past 10 years.

Honestly, my first impression was "This must be an April Fools Joke!". Hahaa.

And then it dawned on me, that someone was legitimately paid USD to simply remove the icons and call it a new theme. What the he%$

And to add insult to injury, someone on the cPanel staff made the conscious decision to not include the option to enable / disable "the theme upgrade" on the after major update WHM login splash screen as they do with most major client-facing changes or settings.

There is a lesson to be learned here, cPanel staff. But are you listening?

Recommended reading:
The Emperor Has No Clothes

-Jim

Last edited:
Reactions: feldon27 and AzeDK

clopezi

Mar 17, 2013
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Friendly reminder - we love feedback, but let's keep it respectful and about the product itself.
Of course, ever, but this user has a very good point of view:

someone on the cPanel staff made the conscious decision to not include the option to enable / disable "the theme upgrade" on the after major update WHM login splash screen as they do with most major client-facing changes or settings.
This is very very unrespectful with the users. Remember that cPanel it's not a free software where the user has to accept the decisions or move on, this is paid software, and this kind of decision are very hard to accept. An option to enable or disable the new template after update it's the right way to go, almost as user I see that way.

King regards,

AzeDK

Jul 14, 2011
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Why not just make your own Basic Style paper_lantern, set it as default, and disable "Change style" feature set ? Just copy the Basic, rename it to your hosting name, and then you wont get into these trouble, as long as you disable the "Change style" option, which hides the new banner that invites clients to try Glass as well.

clopezi

Mar 17, 2013
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator

18 days on moderation:

1624949307421.png

Edit: Also, the method described here (How to remove the "Switch to Glass" banner from the cPanel interface), to remove the message on existing accounts, its not working, tried in a few different servers.

King regards,

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
@clopezi - we're still working on changes to the features site that will provide a MUCH better experience. However, adding icons isn't something that will happen with Glass. We have an additional new theme that we plan to release that offers an easier-to-navigate experience.

csidev

Registered
Sep 26, 2018
Louisiana
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
The thing is that iconless themes ARE a good option for people who prefer dense displays. It can mean less scrolling and easier click-throughs for people who use it a lot and just want to be able to click on the option they want without lots of scrolling. The problem with Glass is that they removed the icons, but left large margins on everything so that it's not really saving any space. The fact that they removed the icons, but still use up enough space for buttons to fit a good sized icon means that the theme does not really have a useful niche.

binarybcc

Registered
Oct 30, 2020
USA, South Carolina
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Alternating background shades on the different sections; larger contrast in font sizes for section headings; Icons (allow them to be enabled or disabled by the end user, if you like). What we have now could literally be more functional if it were 3-4 columns of text with Bolded section heads -- it would take up less space and be easier to search through by eye. If you want to get advanced, have a search at the top that highlights related options sort of like how Apple does with System Prefs or Adobe with their Help menus. This really scares me as to the leadership and management of CPanel/WHM. Steve Jobs would nuke it from orbit.

MaFt

Registered
Jun 3, 2019
UK
cPanel Access Level
Reseller Owner
It's awful. Icons are useful. I find it incredibly difficult to find anything in cPanel now and even hard to explain to a client how they do something.