The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cpanel goes with the domain name?

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by tidje, Mar 20, 2006.

1. tidje

tidje Registered

Mar 20, 2006
    I had 2 websites hosted by a company that went out of business.
    I was a bit worried about the websites because it had been awhile since dumb me had made a backup of them.
    Now, I only want to renew one of them and combine both websites into 1.

The good news:
    When I renewed the first website and got it hosted somewhere else that uses cpanel, my website was automatically remembered- I didn't have to do a thing and it was as good as new. :)
    So, I'm thinking that the info for the other site is probably still somewhere somehow too.
    Is there a way for me to recover that info without renewing both the domain name and finding hosting for it?
    I don't really understand how cpanel works, so I don't know.

I didn't expect my renewed website to instantly come up again like that without me having to reenter it all- amazing!!
    Having a new hosting company and my domain with a new company- well, I expected it to be all lost.

I would greatly appreciate help from anyone who understands this better than me.
  2. Cygnus_X1

Cygnus_X1 Active Member

Feb 22, 2006
    If you're keeping the domain name, but don't want to purchase additional hosting, you'll want to add an Add-on Domain in the cpanel of your existing account. So just add your second domain in there, and you'll have to enter the name of the folder where its website will exist. Where your primary domain will be in the public_html folder for the account, your add-on domain will be in a subfolder like public_html/subfolder/ thus keeping the two websites separated. Visitors to either website will not be able to tell that the two domains actually exist on the same account or in the same folder. They will not be able to see info from the other domain as long as you're accessing the domains by their own names. The second domain's pages can be accessed if someone uses your primary domain...for example would bring up the website for your second domain. Though someone would have to know what your second domain's folder name was. With add-on domains you can have email and subdomains too for that second domain.

So after you have setup your add-on domain, make sure the domain's DNS is pointed to the same name servers as your primary domain. Then just add your website files to the subfolder through your File Manager. Or you can FTP them there too.

Hope this helps some.

Cygnus X1