cPanel hardened kernel safety?

webmasteryoda

Apr 3, 2013
Serbia
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello

I need to harden my servers Apache Symlink Protection.
My VPS is currently running CENTOS 6.8 x86_64 kvm with WHM 62.0 (build 15).
My kernel version is 2.6.32-431.29.2.el6.x86_64.
I am using Easy Apache 4 with Apache 2.4.

So I have found this solution:
How to Harden Your cPanel System's Kernel - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

I have some questions:
1. Is it perfectly safe to switch to cPanel hardened kernel? Do I have to backup my data first?
2. I am using Bluehost provided Apache patch and it is slowing my server. If I switch to cPanel kernel, will it run any faster than with Bluehost patch on my VPS.

PS - I have checked with my hosting provider and they are using VPS systems with full virtualization. So that part is ok.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello,

1. Is it perfectly safe to switch to cPanel hardened kernel? Do I have to backup my data first?
It's a straightforward process to switch to the cPanel-hardened kernel. I've not seen any reports of issues with the conversion, but the potential for unexpected issues exists any time you reboot a system or change the kernel. Thus, we strongly suggest that only experienced System Administrators perform this process, as documented at:

How to Harden Your cPanel System's Kernel - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

2. I am using Bluehost provided Apache patch and it is slowing my server. If I switch to cPanel kernel, will it run any faster than with Bluehost patch on my VPS.
Yes, if the Bluehost patch is what's slowing your VPS down, then using an alternative solution such as the cPanel-hardened kernel would alleviate that performance issue.

Thank you.

Reactions: linux4me2

webmasteryoda

Apr 3, 2013
Serbia
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Thank you Michael.

I did exactly what is written on this page:

But, kernel updated to the most recent version (Current running kernel version is up to date: 2.6.32-642.15.1.el6.x86_64), but it is not cPanel hardened kernel.

Yes, I did this:
Code:
cd /etc/yum.repos.d/
wget https://securedownloads.cpanel.net/cPkernel/cPkernel.repo
I am currently running CENTOS 6.8 x86_64 kvm with WHM 62.0 (build 15)

The only message I got when I tryed to login to WHM/cPanel is that I need to verify my cPanel license.