Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

CPanel hogging my IP pool; how do I stop listening on an IP?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by standardize, Oct 13, 2006.

1. standardize

standardize BANNED

I have a server that has a pool of 5 IP addresses. It runs Fedora Core. I have root access to the box, and I am the only owner. The IP addresses are x.x.x.62, x.x.x.63, x.x.x.64, x.x.x.65, and x.x.x.66. There are websites on the first three of the IP addresses.

I would like to run another web service on x.x.x.65 port 80, but not through CPanel or Apache. The purpose is to serve images and I will be running a lightweight webserver like thttpd or some other one to do this.

As of right now, when I go to x.x.x.65, I get the "Great success!" page. I searched Google and found another domain that displays this page: see here (this is not my server, but I'm apprehensive about giving out the actual IP, so I figured I'd use an external example).

What I want is for CPanel to NOT USE this IP address. When I go to it, I want to see nothing at all.

I contacted my immediate service provider, who advised that I should reserve the IP address in WHM and then edit Apache's httpd.conf file to stop listening on that IP. I reserved the IP address, and it is on the reserve list.

I went into httpd.conf, and found no evidence of any line that mentions this IP address in terms of listening. Likewise, I found no reference to x.x.x.66, but that also gives the same Great Success! page, so clearly CPanel is listening on these IP addresses.

So where on the system do I find a file that lists the IP addresses that CPanel listens on? How can I force CPanel not to use this IP address in any way so that I can st up the lightweight HTTP server on the IP.

I would be happy to provide further information if necessary. Thank you very much. I appreciate any assistance or direction you can provide.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. standardize

standardize BANNED

Thank you, I believe this should help me solve this issue.

For my own knowledge, though, I couldn't find anything in the conf files that actually referenced the "Great Success!" page that I get on thse ips. Does anyone know where this is? I'm just curious about the dark underbelly of CPanel :D