The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel in VPS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by roolf, Mar 2, 2011.

1. roolf

roolf Registered

Mar 2, 2011

Is it possible to install WHM in a dedicated server, an allow the domains to be created each in a dedicated VPS?

Let me explain:

What I need is to isolate the data(web site) and ervices (Apache, MySQL, Mail etc.) for the diferent domains. What i know is that every WHM/Cpanel installation only allows you tu have all of the domains data in the same server (the /home directory with a subdirectory for each domain).

Thank you for your help.
  2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

Oct 2, 2010
    somewhere over the rainbow
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can have MySQL (WHM > Setup Remote MySQL server), DNS (cPanel DNS only) and mail (setting up remote mail exchanger for the account or using backup mail exchanger for the accounts where the cPanel machine is the second MX and the primary MX goes to a remote machine) on different machines.

You would need to run Apache and the website content on the same machine. I cannot see a good reason to separate Apache and the content Apache is serving onto a different machine, since it would take longer to provide the content at that point.

If you need to do it this way, you'll have to customize the setup to create the accounts on the VPS machine (with cPanel installed onto it), and then push the Apache configuration to the dedicated machine. It would seem better to have the content on the dedicated machine in that scenario, since that would take more space, which a dedicated server is more likely to have over a VPS.