The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cpanel Incremental Backup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lloyd_tennison, Nov 22, 2005.

1. lloyd_tennison

lloyd_tennison Well-Known Member

Seems to me this was a bug before and was supposed to be fixed. Deleted account in incremental backups are not removed from the destination. When doing an incremental backup, even locally, deleted accounts are never removed from the backup directory. I remember some talk of using the "--delete" feature in rsync that was added to the backup script to do so, but something must have changed as that seems to never be called and old stuff just sticks around wasting space.

Looks like the problem is with pkgacct as (dirs and files directories are actually rsynced correctly) and the syncfile function, but that is as close as I can get to an answer.

Now, of course I could delete the entire backup everytime I delete an account so that it builds a new list, but that is not real practical.

2. DaveT

DaveT Active Member

I have a related question / request...

My scenario is that I want to keep daily backups offsite from the server to cover for loss of the server. I'm currently using full cPanel backups to a second drive in my server. This creates nearly a GB of fresh tar.gz files every day, even though the delta change for the real data is <100MB (only a couple of accounts on this server so far). This means that my rsync will have to copy a GB of data every day and use a GB of my valuable bandwidth instead of copying 100MB of changed data.

If I switched to incremental cPanel backups, then I would be able to copy just the changed data using rsync (since the structure isn't tar.gz) - however, and here's the gotcha, as noted elsewhere, the incremental backup creation that cPanel uses doesn't remove files deleted from the source.

I think it would be extremely beneficial for the current cPanel incremental backups to switch to using rsync. and then have the option via WHM of deleting files no longer in the source (--delete switch for rsync). This would mean that onward rsyncs would (if the user wanted) just include the changed data.

The only way that I would be able to achieve this at the moment, is to delete the /backup/cpbackup folder in its entirety every day about 10 minutes before the scheduled cpanel backups start - far from satisfactory I'm sure you'd agree...

Dave.

3. lloyd_tennison

lloyd_tennison Well-Known Member

Anyone have any thoughts on either what the error is or how to fix? (Short of the mentioned deleting all files..)