The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel Installer - Broken MySQL Check

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by Karl, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

The new installer is broken in the way it checks for MySQL and it actively encourages bad practices.

It does a check to see if MySQL is present, except it doesn't. It just checks to see if /var/lib/mysql is present - which of course in any sane deployment it will be, as it'll be a separate partition mounted there.

The installer needs fixing in one of several ways:

1) It needs to do a better check for MySQL/MariaDB

2) It needs to prompt the user when it finds /var/lib/mysql

3) Provide an option to skip the check

Obviously it's easy to work around, but it shouldn't be broken in the first place - lack of testing with good system admin practices in place should not have let this through.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Could you provide more details on the specific issue that occurs, or how it's reproducible? For instance, cPanel requires a fresh operating system before the installation. Thus, are you saying that it's not stopping the installation when an existing MySQL or MariaDB installation is discovered?

Thank you.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue. Internal case CPANEL-3346 was opened to address this issue in the installer. Per the case, if /var/lib/mysql exists, but is empty, the installation will now continue. Could you verify if the issue is still happening, and if so, is the /var/lib/mysql directory empty?

Thank you.

4. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Will spin up a VM and try it if I get chance tomorrow. For this one I just did the simple thing, umount my /var/lib/mysql, install, rename mysql dir, mount my /var/lib/mysql, copy files over.