The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel invalid login for new user just created

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mike_ACC, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Mike_ACC

Mike_ACC Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I suspect this issue is due to my extreme naivety as this is my first attempt to set things up with a WHM / cPanel environment so apologies if this is blindingly obvious to real people. A dev / VPS host set up the basic system for us and it is working fine for some time for the main production environments. So far so good.

Yesterday, I wanted to set up a reseller environment separate from the main environment to do some webhosting. With the dev's help, we setup a new Reseller Account in WHM. That seems to work so I accessed the cPanel for the Reseller and that seems to work also. First task, setup a User and there it is in User Manager. So I logout of cPanel and try to login as the new User and I get The login is invalid. Today, I deleted that User and tried again and same result.

Since then I have tried to find a "get started" resource, accessed the documentation (which assumes a high level of prior knowledge) and read the sticky in this forum.

I'm baffled and would appreciate someone pointing out where I'm going wrong or a suggestion to a dummies' guide. The task is I have a working WHM / cPanel system set up by someone else. I want to setup within that a Reseller (who can maintain up to 10 small hobby websites) and within that, one User who has "bought" a webhosting account from that Reseller and has a single website they want to maintain.

Working out why the login for the User I set up is invalid would be a start!

Thanks in advance, Mike

2. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    #2 dalem, Sep 10, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2016
  3. Mike_ACC

Mike_ACC Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The IP for the user is the same as the user for the reseller (me) as I am trying to login from the same PC/browser/location as I login OK with my reseller username.
    I type cPHulk into the function search bar in cPanel and nothing is displayed. Where do I find it?

#3 Mike_ACC, Sep 10, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2016
  4. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    WHM > Home »Security Center »cPHulk Brute Force Protection

5. Mike_ACC

Mike_ACC Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ah, OK, I was looking in cPanel. I didn't know cPHulk was in WHM. Here it says cPHulk is enabled.
    I can see my current IP address is not on the whiltelist so I will add it (although that does not explain to me why I can login from the same IP OK as reseller but not as user-created-by-reseller). I can also see the user I created listed as a failed login with Service "system" and Authentication Service cpaneld.

OK, it says IP successfully added to whiltelist so I will try to login as that user. No luck. Still says Invalid user.

Do I have to create this user in WHM as well as in cPanel? I thought that if a user was created in cPanel as a reseller, they could create their own cPanel users? The Guide Guide to Reseller Accounts - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation says:

"A reseller is a cPanel account owner that also sells cPanel accounts to other users. A reseller purchases system resources from a hosting provider, and then allocates the resources to the cPanel accounts that they sell.
    A reseller account is a cPanel account with additional privileges. The system allows reseller accounts access to a limited version of the WHM interface, which allows them to manage the cPanel accounts that they sell."

and that's what I am trying to achieve.

6. Mike_ACC

Mike_ACC Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I just logged out of everything, restarted the PC and logged back in again. I still cannot login to cPanel with the user I created in cPanel when I was logged into cPanel as the Reseller. Still says user is invalid. I check in WHM (with top level privilege user account) and the user is no longer reported in cPHulk as failed login. But I still can't login as that user.

7. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Have you tried disabling cphulk ??

8. Mike_ACC

Mike_ACC Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks, dalem for your advice. No, I haven't disabled it. I did not know it existed until you mentioned it. Since this is security item (and we never needed to touch it before) I will leave it as it is until our dev team has evaluated. My suspicion is we missed a simple step in creating the Reseller account and the account to be used by the Reseller's user. But I can't find a simple, step-by-step guide to doing this. There are some basic docs and videos and them some very detailed tech info / FAQs but nothing I can find will bridge that gap.

9. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

cPHulk includes username-based and IP-based protection. It's possible the account username itself was blocked:

cPHulk Brute Force Protection - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

You can browse to the "History Reports" tab in "WHM >> cPHulk Brute Force Protection" and choose "Blocked Users" to see if an account username is blocked.

Thank you.

10. Mike_ACC

Mike_ACC Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for the info. However, this issue was nothing to do with cPHulk. As suspected, it was to do with the inaccuracy in the Reseller doc which said to create your user account in cPanel. This does not work. As a Reseller, you have to login to WHM (not cPanel) and create the account for you user there, and then the user can login to cPanel. Took a while and a support case but we got there in the end.

11. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I'm happy to see the issue is now resolved. Would you mind letting us know the URL to the document that's not providing accurate information?

Thank you.

12. Mike_ACC

Mike_ACC Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Sure. As posted above, it was the Guide to Reseller Accounts:

Do I have to create this user in WHM as well as in cPanel? I thought that if a user was created in cPanel as a reseller, they could create their own cPanel users? The Guide Guide to Reseller Accounts - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation says:

"A reseller is a cPanel account owner that also sells cPanel accounts to other users. A reseller purchases system resources from a hosting provider, and then allocates the resources to the cPanel accounts that they sell.
    A reseller account is a cPanel account with additional privileges. The system allows reseller accounts access to a limited version of the WHM interface, which allows them to manage the cPanel accounts that they sell."​

HTH, Regards

13. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    cPanel accounts are only created by the root user or by existing resellers via Web Host Manager. It's not possible to create an additional cPanel account from within cPanel itself. cPanel users can create subaccounts, but these are not full cPanel accounts:

User Manager - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thank you.