jakarta

Registered
Oct 6, 2003
Hi, last week I came into work one day and noticed that I couldn't pull up several search pages like google.com. I can go anywhere else on the internet but google, lycos and altavista. When I try to go to google.com I get the attached message from cpanel. The weird thing is. I am the Admin assistant of IT and we don't use cPanel or any type of management tools. How is cPanel blocking my access to pages? p.s. I can get to google from any other computer on the network but mine. Plz help.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

Attachments

elleryjh

Apr 12, 2003
Look at your HOSTS file. Does it have an entry for www.google.com? If so, remove it.

If not, contact your network admin. This is not related to cPanel.

Windows 95/98/Me c:\windows\hosts

Windows NT/2000/XP Pro c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Windows XP Home c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

jakarta

Registered
Oct 6, 2003
Thank you so much. That fixed it. Now I'm embarrassed because I should have figured that out. Thanks again.:D

elleryjh

Apr 12, 2003
I think it might be a virus trying to set popular sites (i.e. google) dns entries to the writer's website.

Maybe the sysadmin found out and removed that google website, so it now gives the not configured error...or the server got shut down and the ip/system now has a new owner.

jakarta

Registered
Oct 6, 2003
That is very weird. I may have an explanation. We use a program called "Spybot" and we use it to uninstall spyware off of computers on our network. I suspect that it has detected a virus or spyware from a site visitied via google and placed it in there. At the bottome of the hosts file it has some syntax that reads "# for Spybot made entries". Just a guess.

JoanaP

Apr 9, 2002
Originally posted by jakarta
Thank you so much. That fixed it. Now I'm embarrassed because I should have figured that out. Thanks again.:D

How you it obtained to decide the problem? I am with 75% of my server with the accounts rendered this cursed page of the CPANEL.

Thank You

Joana