The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel? Is it worth to pay for this set of bugs?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by thundersoft, Oct 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thundersoft

thundersoft Registered

Hi all, I'm client of cPanel, I have hosting company and using cPanel products such as WHM and cPanel. So, I pay ~50$ per month, and now look what I get:

1) No documentation: the documentation in this site is never updated from cPanel 7 times.
    2) in cPanel after generating full backup, if you try to restore it, it's useless thing, it absolutely doesn't works.
    3) User home directory look like Trash Bin!
    4) Look at your Accounting.php.inc file, it's terrible, it's source code syntax is terrible. Even this file isn't updated for very long time.
    5) After each update Fantastico or something else goes down, shows hundreds of errors etc.
    6) In cPanel site it was written, "if you experience problems with cPanel installation, we can install cPanel for free", after we asked this, they answered that they will install cPanel on my server for $$.

So, I can say cPanel is like Windows, it's full of bugs, but still everyone uses it, because it's "solid" product.

I better choose alternatives.
    Sincerely yours ;]

2. s_2_s

s_2_s Well-Known Member

well cpanel is sometimes expensive ... sometimes buggy ... sometime INSECURE

but IT IS THE BEST

3. Aric1

Aric1 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    To point #2...

They SHOULD make this clear, but the full backup is NOT meant to be restored in the user's CPANEL (although it would be nice if it worked that way). The full backup is there so the user can FTP their backup somewhere else. It CAN be restored by the site admin in WHM. In the event of an emergency, the server admin can restore the full backup. Just place the backup into the user's /home directory.

If the end user wants to restore files themselves using CPANEL then they should use the separate /home, MySQL and E-mail alias/filter backups. Those can be restored by the end user in CPANEL.

4. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

Some people do have problems or bugs now and then, but I've been using it for just over 2 years now and have only once had an issue and it was dealt with in a few hours.

I tried another system that's said to be more stable for a month once, but I had 6 end users try it out and they all preferred cpanel. That's what counts to me. An ocassional little bug may mean some sys admin work, but that's what running a server means anyway. Cpanel is just to make some of the work easier and to give end users lots of features to play with. ;)

5. AlphaWebspace

AlphaWebspace Well-Known Member

All Software have bugs, some are clearer then others. Some are quiet quiet and Dangerous and cPanel knows what bugs are about thanks to the users and the beta testers.

As for the Documentation, I don't think there is no need for a update unless they completely Revamp cPanel layout.

Because it is the same with a couple more addons.
    Nothing has really changed.

6. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Having been on the end of trying to provide support for people using control panels, I do prefer cPanel to the others that are available. To me, it (mostly) makes sense, and you can change files and configurations if you want to (usually).

The one thing I would agree on, though, is that the documentation is very poor. Without these forums, many of the options in both WHM and cPanel would be almost incomprehensible to some people.

Compared to some control panels, cPanel does seem a little cobbled together (from the back at least), but while others appear more slick, they lack substance.

I would personally like to see cPanel hire a good graphics designer and have them give it a damn good makeover, images, text help and all. Someone who looks at it from the users perspective, rather than the programmers.

7. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

8. richy

richy Well-Known Member

I actually just used Accounting.php.inc as an "example of how to do X" file - using that as a base line, I'm able to do anything via a RemoteKey script that I'm able to do as root via WHM....

9. Joshfrom

Joshfrom Well-Known Member

Some of these comments are subjective (I can't help that you don't like the layout of the home directory), some of them are covered in other threads. We do currently have a project to re-write our documentation to be easier to use, and more in-depth. Also your sixth point is incorrect: we do not charge for installations nor standard technical support. The only support we charge for is phone support.

10. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I don't agree with anything said in the first post. cPanel rocks. The support when you need it, rocks. Sounds to me like a lot of "user error" there. But hey, thats how you learn. Keep at it, soon you'll see the light.

11. kosmo

kosmo Well-Known Member

CPanel is not the best as there is not a "best" panel. There are panels which are good or bad depending on your needs. What may be good for you, may be bad for me (and vice versa).

CPanel is sometimes chaotic in its maintenance and its support but this is also its strength since chaotic development of an organism is the best proof that this organism is alive and follows the universal laws of development. CPanel may not answer your requests for 6 months but it may also respond to a feature request within 3 minutes (happened to me at least 2 times).

CPanel may have lots of bugs but this is also a result of the many features it offers. As some people say, only the ones who don't move make no mistakes. CPanel moves (customers experiencing CPanel for the last 2-3 years will confirm this), therefore it makes mistakes.

It depends on what you want and what you need. "Live" and a mistake here and there or "slow like a dinosaur in development" but stable. For the latter, better search somewhere else. But for chaotic, developing life, stay here.

kosmo

12. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

That's why I plan to get a new server elsewhere shortly. Mine is a little over a year old now. Time to upgrade, but they don't offer cpanel anymore, so I have to go elsewhere.

Everything else you wrote is right to the point.

Cpanel has more bugs than other similar software, but that's because it also has more features and is easier for the end user to use.

13. vodkajoe

vodkajoe Member

Well if you don't like it whats your alternative? Plesk, which comes on an account based license? Servercp? Most of the problems you describe are specific bugs. What does it matter if the home directory looks bad, what were you expecting? Look and the windows folder on your own pc. :S

You seem to be missing the point that the WHM software is very powerfull and a much much simpler alternative to just attempting the same in shell.

14. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

And you seem to be missing the point that this thread is over two years old...

Please don't dig up old threads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.