The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel is the best tool ever! - and a few questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thinlinedata, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Thinlinedata

Thinlinedata Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I recently moved from Plesk to cPanel, and what a big change this has been! cPanel is like 100 years ahead in terms of administration I can do from it, great job, I have now forever switched, as this is really mindblowing good!!!

However, I am confused about a couple of things and hope someone can answer.

1) Under the account view in cPanel, I managed to add a new domain name, so that I have two under the same user after digging a bit online on how I enable the feature. However, what I miss dearly from Plesk is the domain overview in the user account. I would like to see what domains I host where, in the overview panel somehow. What can I do? I need this alot because I am setting up multiple accounts on multiple ip's with multiple domains that act as landing pages, and I need to structure the logic and have the overview fast and easy.

2) I am on CENTOS 6.4 x86_64 and I it doesnt seem to be any root SFTP user created so that I can log on with FileZilla and just do my thing through its interface. I like to have root on this application as it gives me alot of flexibility of download and upload, without having to log into multiple sub-user accounts FTP. How can I add root SFTP?

3) Why WHM? Why call it both WHM and cPanel? Where is the difference or did I miss something here? It seems WHM is for the admin part and cPanel is for the user part?

Great job on the admin panel guys, love it!

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

1. The following options may be helpful to you:

"WHM Home » Account Information » List Parked Domains"
    "WHM Home » Account Information » List Subdomains"

The subdomains option will display the addon domain associated with the subdomain.

2. SFTP is typically enabled by default. You can run the following command to see if it's enabled in your SSH configuration file:

Code:
    grep sftp /etc/ssh/sshd_config
    You should see output such as:

Code:
    # grep sftp /etc/ssh/sshd_config
    Subsystem	 sftp	/usr/libexec/openssh/sftp-server
    3. Yes, cPanel and WHM are part of the same software package. This is described more at:

cPanel & WHM Software At A Glance

Thank you.

3. Thinlinedata

Thinlinedata Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    1) What I was looking for was an overview of the domains inside the cPanel part and not as much in WHM. Is such possible?

2) What I dont have is the option to run the su command on SFTP, thus my cpanel user is stuck with only view in his /home/ directory. How can allow this user to be root without switching to root?

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    There are no native features that display all domain names associated with the account in cPanel. You must access the "Parked" and "Addon" domain name options individually. You are welcome to open a feature request for such an option via:

Submit A Feature Request

You can manage the wheel group users via:

"WHM Home » Security Center » Manage Wheel Group Users"

However, generally speaking, you should not provide a user with the ability to "su" to root unless you are prepared to trust them with full root access to your machine.

Thank you.

5. Thinlinedata

Thinlinedata Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Splendid answers Michael. This cleared it all up for me.