The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel issues with 64 bit processors ?!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mOdY, Jan 25, 2006.

1. mOdY

mOdY Well-Known Member

Hello All,

I would like to ask the cPanel - Guru - users here if there's a known issues with cPanel on a 64 bit processor or in other words in a 64 bit kernel !?

The reason for this question is that i've just got a Dual AMD Opteron 244 box with a 3gb of ECC ram, i've just posted to my DC to install Cent OS 4.2 64bit on it and i'll go with the cPanel installation by my self so if there's any notes i would put in mind then it'll be nice to get to hear it, Thanks.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I would very strongly suggest that you go with 32bit Linux and not x86_64. There are some major issues with running 64bit Linux still and it's really not ready for production use, especially not with cPanel. The problems revolve around 64bit and 32bit libraries. A lot of the problems can be fixed with quite a bit of work, but there are some known issues that haven't been resolved by people as yet. IMX, you're unlikely to see much of a performance boost with 32bit against 64bit at this stage anyway.

3. xerophyte

xerophyte Well-Known Member

I agree with above, cpanel build scripts has wrong library locations and stuff. For Example /scripts/easyapache look for /usr/lib and 64_x86 has libraries under /usr/lib64 and many more little hidden bugs