The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel keeps changing my database permissions and costing me money - Help!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 3p6hsmg, Feb 17, 2012.

1. 3p6hsmg

3p6hsmg Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I created a user via phpMyAdmin. The user has "All Privileges" However, every once in a while (week or two it seems), cPanel / WHM will CHANGE THE PERMISSIONS OF MY USER. How the #$%# does this make sense? If I create a database user and set the privs, then cpanel needs to leave it alone.

How do I tell cPanel to quit changing database permissions?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Re: cPanel keeps changing my database permissions and costing me money - He

Hello :)

You mentioned the database username was created via phpMyAdmin, however the instance of phpMyAdmin provided by cPanel does not allow the creation of databases or database usernames. This is instead handled through the "MySQL" icon within cPanel.

Could you clarify the exact method you are using to create the database username?

Thank you.

3. 3p6hsmg

3p6hsmg Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner

Thanks for the reply.

The user was created via the phpMyAdmin in WebHost Manager. Under Privileges in phpMyAdmin I can see the user has "All Privileges"

However, the next time whm/cpanel screws with the privileges it will no longer say "All Privileges". Two of them will now be unchecked (I dont remember which two) and then I have to once again login to phpMyAdmin, select the user, click "Select All" under global privs and then save it.

The user is an account with all privs enabled. The user is used so an external server can login to the mysql instance. And all I know is everything goes to hell once every week or two and the external server can no longer do its job and the privs of that mysql have been changed and I have to enable it for global privs once again.

4. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

cPanel & WHM does not support users created outside of the user's cPanel UI via this method: Create a Database User

It also does not support editing users' privileges outside of:
    Define a User's Privileges
    -or-
    Modify a User's Privileges

Any other method than described in those links will have unknown/unexpected behavior at best. I could certainly see it plausible that cPanel/WHM may reset/obscure permissions since it wouldn't effectively understand what the user is or what its permissions should be outside of it's own internal references (which phpMyAdmin would not affect).

Please do not directly use phpMyAdmin to manage database creation/deletion, user creation/deletion, or privilege creation/modification. You must use the mechanisms provided here for those actions: MySQL Databases

5. 3p6hsmg

3p6hsmg Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner

That definitely seems like a bug. There are too many software packages that exist outside of WHM for WHM to arbitrarily start nuking database user privs. Not every software package in the world should have to have knowledge of WHM / cpanel.

How do I get WHM / cpanel to quit changing privledges of database members? What cron can I disable or edit?

If that is impossible, then how I may I create a user that has ALL privs and is restricted to login to a specific IP address? I do not see an area in WHM where that is possible. How do I tell WHM / cpanel to leave this database user alone. I know it is possible because there are mail users with all privs in the database (for the cpanel mail software).