The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cpanel keeps notifying me that wordpress 2.8.6 is available, but it's not there

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cookiesunshinex, Dec 28, 2009.

1. cookiesunshinex

cookiesunshinex Well-Known Member

I keep receiving automatic notifications that there is a new script available and that I need to update.

In this case, it's Wordpress 2.8.6. I already have Wordpress 2.8 installed.

Here is the email notifications:
    Hello accountname,

In order to protect the security of your website, we recommend that you upgrade
    the following scripts that were installed via the "Scripts Library" in your cPanel interface:

- WordPress.0 v2.8
    Latest: v2.8.6
    Upgrade here: https://domain.com:2083/frontend/x3...orkinginstall=cPanel::Blogs::WordPress.0.yaml

When I visit the link and log into the account's cpanel and scripts page, it says that it's not found.
    "Unable to find available update from 2.8!"

If I go into WHM, and choose Manage CPAddons, It shows that the wordpress is up to date at 2.8, and that there is not a 2.8.6 available.

It seems like this is a bug of some sort.

2. cookiesunshinex

cookiesunshinex Well-Known Member

Nobody is having this problem?

It's really annoying, everyday I get an email indicating that I need to update, but when I follow the link the upgrade is not there.

I have upgraded wordpress through cpanel interface several times before, but suddenly the upgrade path is not working.

3. Svintoo

Svintoo Member

Some of my customers get this problem from time-to-time.

It seems that cPanel thinks a webpage (Joomla, Drupal etc) is still installed on a customers account even if it's been removed.

I searched the .fantasticodata folder for some junk data that maybe was lying around but I found nothing.

In this case it is YaBB that cPanel says needs upgrading.
    My customer receives an e-mail about this every day and it's really annoying to him.

does anyone know how these notifications are handled by cPanel?
    Maybe there are a file somewhere we can edit.

4. Svintoo

Svintoo Member

Problem solved :)

I forgot to check the .cpaddon folder. There was a file containing information of the installation.
    The user had removed the wepage without uninstalling it from cPAddons.

5. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    A few things I would be looking at are: (1) the e-mail headers (message source) to determine if it actually came from the expected server or if it came from a different (older) server where the account may have existed at one time, (2) try forcing a refresh of cPAddon sources via WHM Install cPAddons, (3) re-check if the end-user cPanel will use the correct version for a new install of WordPress and compare this to the version offered for updating the older WordPress installation.

There are related cPAddon notification options available via WHM at the following menu path:
    WHM: Main >> Server Configuration >> Tweak Settings >> cPAddons

Thank you for the status update regarding a resolution. I would also check for other remnants such as a leftover MySQL database (of which the name is specified in the individual installation files within the directory path at "~/.cpaddons/").

As a preventative measure I recommend to advise and encourage end-users to perform a safe uninstall via cPanel to properly remove scripts and their related configuration data.