cPanel license purchase questions

PeteS

Jun 8, 2017
Oregon
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
A couple purchasing questions:
- am I correct that buycpanel.com is a reseller for cPanel, but not part of cPanel (the company)?
- buycpanel.com is slightly cheaper, and has more to purchase, but is there a downside (I'm thinking support, etc.)?

I didn't find much on here about it, one thread about buycpanel.com having "reactivation fees" if licensing not kept contiguous (does the same hold true for cpanel.net?).

Also, if I have a dedicated license through the company that I get my server from, but I can get it cheaper (considerably) through cpanel.net or buycpanel.com, is it an option to switch the licensing to be through one of these sources?

Not trying to be a cheap-wad, but it can add up to quite a bit over time.

-Pete

Anupam SG

Aug 29, 2018
Earth
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I have had a few licenses through buycpanel.com and I am yet to come across a downside. The support (once when I had to use it) was okay. Also, I am pretty sure that my licenses bought through buycpanel.com have expired multiple times over the years; and were reactivated when I made the payment without any "reactivation fees". However, do note that you will be charged for the unpaid period too when you decide to continue. E.g. if you do not renew for 1 month, but decide to renew in the 2nd month, you will be charged for both the months.

cPanel Licensing is based on server IP, so you can easily switch between multiple providers e.g. 1st month from buycpanel.com, 2nd month from cpanel.net etc. You just need to mention your server IP(s) when purchasing a new license.

dalem

PartnerNOC
Oct 24, 2003
SLC
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
the only downside I can think of is you do not have direct access to priority support if you need to open a ticket that only cPanel can resolve. Your cpanel reseller will have to do it on your behalf.

If you do decide to be a "cheap-wad" getting a provider with that also sells cpanel licenses you can get an internal license usually at an even lower cost

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011