The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cpanel License Questions About Expiration

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by kieranmullen, Sep 5, 2005.

1. kieranmullen

kieranmullen Well-Known Member

So this is a new concept to me "License Expiration"

What happens when the license runs out? Are you prevented from accessing the control panel? Does a notice show to you and your clients? Are you just prevented from adding new domains OR are you just prevented from adding upgrades?

I dont understand why it would have to actually expire. Most other software that is purchased does not expire however you dont get all the benefits from upgrading.

Where is it made? Has anyone use their US based support? My exp has been that most of the control panels are made in other countries and post US phone numbers but are never there to answer...

Thanks
    KM

2. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

When a licence runs out, access to WHM and cPanel is not longer available and I believe, from reading a thread today, that POP access no longer works, assumedly because cppop is proprietory cPanel software.

Why cPanel expires is a very straightforward question to answer. Unlike other software to which you refer whereby your licence pays for the right to upgrade, your cPanel licence simply pays for your right to use cPanel, thus such access is denied when your licence expires.

From what I understand cPanel is a wholly US-based company, with the software itself created at cPanel's US base. Although I've never called cPanel support (I don't have a direct licence), I have read commendable comments regarding the speed and depth of support.

3. kieranmullen

kieranmullen Well-Known Member

From what I am reading it seems like an owned server license is much more expensive that it is worth. (unless people are storing your office looking for it) It does not seem to be a good multi server solution compared to other programs we are using.

So is there $X worth of actual upgrades done to the system year after year?

What makes it better than other CPs out there?

Thanks

KM

4. NetPublicist

NetPublicist Well-Known Member

Yes, it blocks access to WHM, cPanel and POP, I can still access phpMyAdmin and Webmail, and the sites still work, I just can't access the others. You can read more about it here:

http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=43276

I have checked and my cPanel hasn't expired, but there is a problem on the cPanel servers that has locked me out of my cPanel anyway, my datacenter has a support ticket with cPanel, I hope they get it fixed soon, my customers are calling and emailing me like crazy!! :eek: