The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel License - Small time accounts?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RC_Jet, Jan 12, 2012.

1. RC_Jet

RC_Jet Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hello

I'd like to get a cPanel account for a new server, as I'm not big on direct commands, but it seems expensive for small timers.

I know there are shared hosting servers for small time operations, but what are anyones suggestions for getting cPanel on their own servers? Is anyone sharing cPanel licenses or is that not allowed? I'm obviously not looking for workarounds or freebies - cPanel is a great service, but at a great price too. Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

p.s. I'm talking about an e-commerce site, using Magento

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
  3. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can also pay for a cPanel license on a monthly basis from a distributor:

cPanel Partners - cPanel Inc.

However, if you are not familiar with hosting or do not have a very good basic understanding of the Linux operating system, you are really better off, as Infopro mentioned, with a VPS package from a hosting provider, rather than trying to set up a server yourself and buying a cPanel license. VPS packages are available at very affordable prices, and the hosting provider can help you with configuring the operating system and other tasks that you may not be familiar with and which are beyond our (cPanel, Inc.) scope of support.

If you only need to host one site, or even just a few sites, you might want to consider just a hosting package from a host that uses cPanel. We have a list of partners who provide hosting here:

cPanel Partner Search - cPanel Inc.

If your knowledge and understanding of Linux is limited, and you just need to host a site or two, a hosting package makes more sense than the complexity of running your own server. It really is a big step to go from running a single site, to administrating a server that hosts many sites, and it requires a good fundamental understanding of the operating system and of how the Internet works in general.

4. RC_Jet

RC_Jet Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated.

I've heard that if you get sucked into the world of Linux you'll degenerate further and further until you're compiling kernels all night... so I've steered clear (for now).

A VPN it is then - I'd had a quick look at them before but I'll explore further - many thanks.

:D