The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel License with a Dynamic IP Address?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JmaJeremy, Nov 26, 2009.

1. JmaJeremy

JmaJeremy Registered

I'm looking into purchasing a cPanel license. It's my understanding that the license would be connected with my IP address, but the problem is that I have a dynamic IP. How can I get a license when I have a dynamic IP?

2. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Because cPanel is designed for commercial hosting, we only license publicly-visible, static IP addresses. We do not license dynamic, sticky, or internal IP addresses.

When provisioning a new system I recommend ensuring the dedicated server has a static and publicly-visible IP address that does not change on a regular basis. A static IP address is an essential component when operating a dedicated server. Using a dynamic IP address will increase both the difficulty of and administrative time required for maintaining server configurations; it will also decrease the reliability of hosting DNS/name servers and some domain registrars may also restrict or prevent using a dynamic IP to register a new DNS/name server.