The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cpanel load balance and maildir system on it.

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by macklus, Oct 3, 2005.

1. macklus

macklus Active Member

Jan 14, 2004
    Hi all:

I need your advise about the usage of cpanel at a balanced system, in
    particular concerning to the mail service.

Our current platform is set as follows:

There is one server for the control panels, which besides exports the files to the rest of machines (1 mail server, 2 web servers and another one for the data bases, all of them running on Debian GNU/Linux).
    To avoid problems of dependencies and libraries, i have manually compiled all and every one of the services (apache, exim, mailman, etc), which provides me much more possibilities in relation to the maintenance and operation.
    Currently, the machine with the control panels provides access through cpanel as well as the pop3 and imap services, as these services are Cpanel proprietary code.
    For escalability purposes, i need to migrate the pop3 and imap services to the mail server and adjust them to maildir use.
    The problem is that cpanel uses proprietary code to validate users through pop3 and imap (the script /usr/local/cpanel/bin/courier-auth ) which keeps me locked when trying to check and guarantee its operation.
    Currently i am running a perl script which allows the pop3 and imap users validation trhough cpanel structures but i would rather use the own cpanel binaries which i am sure they will work much more efficiently than mine :-D

My hesitations are:
    - has anybody ever tried something like what i am explaining?
    - is there any possibility that cpanel publishes this sort of scripts code?
    - when seeing thet different options publishes through these forums for the balancing of services, i can see that people are prone to 'duplicate' the cpanels through nfs. Which advantages and disadvantages do you think this system may produce? as regards the performance, woudln't it be much better to export only the changing data instead of
    the whole system?
    - i asume that the issue of balancing services with cpanel is getting lots of followers but cpanel has declared nothing about it yet. Is there any fully tested documentation on how to balance these services with cpanel?