The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cpanel maiboxes privacy

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by pauloxcardoso, Oct 2, 2008.

1. pauloxcardoso

pauloxcardoso Registered

Oct 2, 2008
    Hi all,

when I log on webmail using my cpanel login/password, I see all email accounts as folders, and, all messages inside of them.

Is this a bug or feature?

2. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2002
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Pick a side.

Back when Mailbox was the standard cPanel storage method this was a "feature" of the default mail account.

When cPanel switched to Maildir (or around that time) this "feature" was removed.

There was a large outcry from users who wanted this "feature" back. Some argued that it was better in terms of privacy. Others argued that because it was the main mail account, then that user would have access anyway to change the mail account passwords and read the mail from the file system.

Eventually this "feature" was added back to the main mail account.

So, to answer your question, I don't know if it is a "feature" or a "privacy issue".

My short answer would be to not depend on this to read the mail from your sub users. If you are concerned about those sub users having a mail account then you should not set up a mail account for them in the first place. If you otherwise need to monitor their mail usage, then you may want to look into other methods.