The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cpanel mail account problem

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by gflamerich, Sep 8, 2004.

1. gflamerich

gflamerich Well-Known Member

Hi

We had problems las few days width an account because the cpanel allow creation of virtual mail accounts with same name of the virtual user they didn't received some mails where they looked for because they where at the other inbox.
    The situation was the user fundorg created a fundorg@domain.org then tried to log in fundorg@domain.org but some mails where delivered to fundorg@domain.org and some others were delivered to fundorg, the unix user..... So they had a big confusion. We solve the problem deleting the virtual mail user.

It's possible to avoid creation of mail users with same ID of the main account?
    Is there a logical reason to allow this?

This is our WHM/Cpanel info
    WHM 9.4.0 cPanel 9.4.1-S65
    RedHat 9 - WHM X v3.1.0

Thanks

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

There is a very good reason for allowing it, though it's a little complex. It has to do with the way cPanel has implemented exim and the way the default (catchall) alias works. If you disable the catchall alias (setting it to :fail:) then the main account will no longer receive email and you need to create a user called mainaccount@domain.com.

3. gflamerich

gflamerich Well-Known Member

Thanks for your anwser, but
    aren't server notifications (like disk quota or mail failure) always sent to the main user? is this so no mater the catch all account?
    And can cpanel check if the case tha catch all is set to fail? maybe what is need is just a warning?

We spent some time just to notice what was going on.

#3 gflamerich, Sep 8, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2004
  4. mchase

mchase Member

Hey,
    Sorry to bring an old thread back from the dead but we're using the fail rules on all of our accounts because like it was pointed out, it saves bandwith/CPU/frustration. The problem is, once we set :fail: for every account they can no longer recieve email on the main account without adding the alias to /etc/valiases/domain.com. CPanel won't let the alias be added thru it's GUI and there's no way to let each user edit their own valias file. So for every new account we have to add an alias by hand, correct?

5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Yes, unfortunately. It's the way that the virtual user setup works that cPanel has implemented. If the Default Address is set to :fail: then the main user account will no longer function and you need to create a virtual user with the same name but within the domain it is on, i.e. account@domain.com

6. racomnet

racomnet BANNED

???

From what I read it's like that. If I want some account to have fail
    Now I have
    /etc/valiases/domain.com
    and this file have

*: domain

I have to change this file with something like
    :fail: domain@domain.com
    And I have to make the mail with domain@domain.com

7. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Well, if you want to change the valiases file directly (instead of simply using cPanel) then the catchall alias set to :fail: would look like:

*: :fail: No such user here