Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

cPanel MailScanner problem...

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by haze, Aug 23, 2003.

1. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Ok, I first installed the cpanel mailscanner on 2 servers a few weeks back and they worked fine untill day 2. No mail was being delivered at all. So I uninstalled it. I have it another go today just to test my luck and still not sending. I see this error when mailscanner is started up:

opendir(./../../..): Permission denied at /usr/mailscanner/bin/MailScanner line 181

I had a look at line 181, and I couldn't figure out for the life of me what permissions are mucked up where. Has anyone else experienced this problem and possibly resolved it?

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. bennet

bennet Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Sorry to bring up an oldish thread people.

I was using the cpanel installer, im a bit iffy about using the cpanelplus method. I am also considering giving exiscan a shot, but im told it will be included with exim soon ( not sure how soon, soon is :/ ). Now that exim.antivirus isn't working.. well partially anyways I really need a solution to block .exe files.

Has anyone had the above error? If so, were you able to resolve it?

4. goodmove

goodmove Well-Known Member

How do you mean? Exim.antivirus seems to be working fine. :confused:

5. haze

haze Well-Known Member

I just sort of heard it through the grapevine.. and i've got clients getting exe file attachments though they should not be getting through.

6. danielaugustus

danielaugustus Well-Known Member

I'm having the same problem as well . My server stops sending mail when I start MailScanner

Any solution ?

7. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Well, with the resent SCO worm / virus going around, I thought i'd give mailscanner another go. I had a bit of time to trouble shoot the problem I was having and finally figured it out. Just to refresh:

After installing mailscanner, the install log showed:

opendir(./../../..): Permission denied at /usr/mailscanner/bin/MailScanner line 181

The error would also show up when I would try and restart mailscanner.

So looking in /usr/mailscanner/bin/MailScanner line 181 I found:

$WorkDir = getcwd();

After some research, I decided to re-install the Cwd module for perl via WHM. It seems this somehow got corrupt or just was buggy.. i dunno. So after that I:
    1. killall -9 MailScanner
    Then started mailscanner again:
    /usr/mailscanner/bin/check_mailscanner

No error, and mail is flowing through just as it should :)

8. haze

haze Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention this.. seems to be a little bug in the install script.

These 3 lines:

Code:
    print "Installing Perl Modules...";
    ssystem("/scripts/perlinstaller","MIME::Base64","File::Spec","HTML::Tagset","HTML::Parser","MIME::Tools","File::Temp","Convert::TNEF");
    print "Done\n";
    They need to be commented out and the modules installed by hand via WHM as this no longer seems to work.

9. damainman

damainman Well-Known Member

The exim with cpanel has an antivirus by default or does it need to be enabled/installed manually?

10. haze

haze Well-Known Member

By default it only filters out certain attachment filetypes. It does not come with antivirus system, this you need to do on your own.

11. SuperBaby

SuperBaby Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Twitter:
    I had similar problems after I installed MailScanner - never got any emails again. The problem was solved after I do a graceful reboot from WHM and restart BIND.