The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPanel messing with user permissions?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by overmonkey, Sep 5, 2005.

1. overmonkey

overmonkey Registered

Hi folks,

I have a edicated server that came preinstalled with Plesk. I tried to install CPanel, and after the install, I could not log in - what credentials does it use?

And here's the really weird part - when I SSH in as a non-root user, I have root access, sort of. I have the hash (#) instead of the ($) bash prompt.

I had to pay $50 to get my stupid server essentrially wiped last time - I had them reinstall w/o Plesk this time, and first thing, I did:

mkdir /home/cpins
    cd /home/cpins
    wget http://layer1.cpanel.net/latest
    sh latest

It ran last night. This AM, my Putty had disconnected, but I'm not shocked about that. But I SSH in and I get a root prompt, but the su command is disabled, or I can't access it.

WTF? Anyone seen anything like this? Anyone got a solution?

Regards,
    Ned

2. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    You CANNOT install cPanel on a server that has another control panel. cPanel MUST be installed on a clean basic supported O/S only.

As per the instructions here -> http://www.cpanel.net/install.html
    The ID and Password are that of your root account once the install is done.

Ans the "hash (#) instead of the ($) bash" has nothing to do with user permission levels, it is just the defined prompt in the different profiles. su under cpanel does not work unless the user belongs the group called wheel.

#2 dgbaker, Sep 5, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2005