The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel migration from VPS to dedicated

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by barrettcreative, Jul 30, 2010.

1. barrettcreative

barrettcreative Registered

Hello,

I recently took the plunge and have started renting a dedicated server, upgrading from a VPS solution. The process of migrating from one server to another has in the past given me a huge headache. I've researched the forums about migration, but I have a few questions. Please forgive me if these are either easily answered; I've read through these forums and hours worth of google searching, and I haven't found anything that makes sense to me.

What i have are close to 17 sites on a VPS, about half of them also host email. I have root access to the VPS solution on the old server, and complete control of the other server. is it possible to set up these sites one by one on the new server, then once everything is in place the way i want it (i plan on organizing the directories a little different) and then just tell the namservers to point at the new server? How would I do that? I set up the namservers on a godaddy registered domain that I own.

Again, I apologize if these are easily answered, and I appreciate any help / advice you could give me.

2. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

You can use the WHM Transfer option to migrate the accounts one by one OR in bulk. Once you migrate an account, go and change the A record of the domain on the VPS to point to the new server IP. This will make sure all the traffic will be routed to the new server unless you are ready to change the name servers OR name server IPs. Once all the accounts are migrated over and their A records are changed on the old server, immediately change the name servers of the domains at their registrar end OR if you want the same nameservers, change the IP to the new server IPs.

The second method of migrating all the accounts with their settings/passwords at once is to use rsync instead of WHM Transfer option. Use rsync to migrate all the account related files and cPanel files that consists of account information to the new server in one go. Then immediately change the A record on the old server using the "replace" command and then move forward to change the name servers.