The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel mobile access problem

Discussion in 'User Experience' started by LukeDouglas, Feb 7, 2015.

1. LukeDouglas

LukeDouglas Member

I have no issues in logging into cPanel from my Samsung Galaxy S3 mobile phone using Android v4.4.2. My issue is that only the Legacy File Manager option is displayed and not the 'full-featured' File Manager. This is a bummer because the Legacy File Manger is very limited in what you can do especially on mobile devices.

The issue is that I can create a new folder but I can't copy or move a file/folder into the new folder. I created a 'test' folder and attempted to move the 'robots.txt.dist' file into the 'test' folder.

I get this error message:

Code:
    Could not move “robots.txt.dist” to “/home/XXXXXX/public_html/
    However, it clearly states that I am in the 'Current Directory: public_html/test' folder!

Any suggestions?

ranjay likes this.
  2. brittbratt

brittbratt Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Have you tried using a ftpmanager I use ftpexpress and van copy and move files

3. LukeDouglas

LukeDouglas Member

Well with my Verizon account, I prefer to not have to eat up my data downloading and uploading files. :)

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Do you have root access to the server? Also, to clarify, you see the normal File Manager option when accessing cPanel from your desktop browser, but not your mobile browser? Do you experience the same result when using the Paper Lantern theme?

Thank you.

5. LukeDouglas

LukeDouglas Member

cPanelMichael,

I do have a VPS account with HostGator but I have never attempted to access the root. I do see the normal File Manager when I access cPanel from my desktop browser. No matter what 'Style' I choose while in cPanel on my phone, it always shows the cPanel in the 'mobile' style. There is no 'Paper Lantern' theme available when I'm on the mobile phone. So I changed the theme in my desktop browser to 'Paper Lantern', went back to my phone and it did change the style as well as show the 'normal' File Manager.

However, when I go into the File Manager on my phone, the scroll automatically realigns back to the top of the page so I can 'never' get down to click on the 'Go' button. It is a popup so I'm assuming the JavaScript is forcing it to display top-down and is not allowing scrolling. So basically it's useless. I can't even GET into the file manager. :(

On my tablet, I can get into the file manager but it's difficult to get things done as the columns are compressed and not expandable. I was able to copy the 'robots.txt' file from the public_html folder into a sub-folder so it does work but, man, you can't see nothing but the first letter and part of the 2nd letter of the filename. It's the same whether I view it in portrait or landscape mode. Here is a screenshot.

[​IMG]

Any other suggestions on how to get the columns expanded fully?

6. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I can confirm there is a mobile style issue of sorts with the File Manager in cPanel. The columns aren't being mobile friendly at all.

Have you ever heard of cPanel WebDisk?

cPanel WebDisk for Android

cPanel WebDisk for iOS

That might be a nice alternative for you to consider.

7. LukeDouglas

LukeDouglas Member

Yes, I have it on the tablet but it's not great on my phone as you 'really' can't copy files. You can move them but not copy them, at least not in a way that I like and, as I said, I prefer not to eat up data plans with downloading / uploading files.

#7 LukeDouglas, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  8. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Sure you can copy a file. Yes, you need to type in the path in front of the file to copy it, you can't drag n drop, but copy works fine. I would think your data plan would thank you for using cPanel WebDisk instead of cPanel File Manager in your mobile browser. :)

Regardless, @cPanelAdamF will be by this thread soon enough and can help explain the Filer Manager issues I'm sure.

9. cPanelAdamF

cPanelAdamF cPanel Product Owner
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    I would encourage you to investigate those iOS apps which @Infopro suggests. At present, the File Manager isn't ready for use on mobile devices. A future rewrite is certainly planned, though.

Sorry I don't have much better news than that