The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel Name Server Woes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by willrobinson, Feb 1, 2007.

1. willrobinson

willrobinson Registered

Feb 1, 2007
    Hi, guys, new to cPanel... going smoothly so far apart from one small hitch:

We've got a domain registered with a registrar that is not the same company who own our dedicated server. We want the domain to point at our new server.

I understand that we need to pass the primary and secondary domain server addresses to our registrar, but it's setting cPanel WHM up for this that is the problem.

Under 'Main >> Networking Setup >> Resolver Configuration Step 2', it says the following:

Enter the ip address of at least two nameservers that you will use for dns resolution. Your datacenter should be able to provide you with at least one ip of a dns server you can access. If you do not know the ip address of your provider's local resolvers you should contact them. It is very important that these nameservers are correct, or you server will not function properly. If you do not know what to put in the boxes below and cannot contact your provider, please close this window and go though this setup at a later time; Your server should still function normally, however connections made to the server may be slower than normal.

Now they have given me two IP addresses, but have said that these are their domain name servers and that I may use these, but if I'm trying to host my own domains, I will need to setup my own nameservers as I will not be able to add domain records to these.

Wow. Confusing.

1) Will I be ok to enter these two IP addresses into the Resolver Config?
    2) Is there a nameserver set up with cPanel already? If so, how do I find out the primary and secondary name server addresses so that I can give them to my registrar.

Thanks in advance for any help you're able to give me.

2. viptexting

viptexting Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2005
    To run your own name servers you need to register them first with the registrar.

You need 2 nameservers, and 2 IP addresses to use with them.

E.g. Setup and

- Pick 2 IP addresses on your server - and

- Register the nameservers with the registrar: - -

- Once these changes have propogated, start the name server in WHM and it should automatically pick up these changes

- Use the name servers and for all domains you add to the server.