The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cpanel Never Updates - Waited 10 hours...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ckizer, Sep 7, 2004.

1. ckizer

ckizer Well-Known Member

WHM is set to STABLE builds with ONLY manual updates. This is virtual a new box with 2 domains. I've successfully been using horde for the webmail. Well today suddently the webmail page in cpanel is just blank. GRRR. Hadn't change or touched the server in 2 days. So I decide to set WHM to update to the release version. Then I perform update... After 4 hours in WHM webpage it just dies. So I run upcp from the command line. Doesn't spit back anything. IT IS STILL sitting there, and this is 6 hours later. And NO I don't have any firewalls blocking webmails port.. Webmail loads horde properly when i click "webmail" in cpanel, but all of a sudden it doesn't work with ANY of the other email addresses directly..

What's with webmail, and why they hell won't WHM update? What's going on?

WHM 9.4.0 cPanel 9.4.1-R64
    RedHat Enterprise 3 - WHM X v3.1.0

Help!

#1 ckizer, Sep 7, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2004
  2. cPanelBilly

cPanelBilly Guest

Most likely your RPM database is bad, please put in a support ticket and it can be looked into.

3. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

Or........ you could offer a solution through the forums (even if it is trail and error) for the benefit of others who may have similar problems in the future. I have seen it done, so I know you cPanel guys can do it :p

4. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Or you could take it easy on him as rebuilding your rpm database could be considered a managed service in which case cpanel should ( though they wouldn't ) charge you for that.

To rebuild your rpm database:
    rpm -vv --rebuilddb

You can leave out the -vv if you don't want to see extra verbosity.

I would also suggest the next upcp you run you run it with the following via shell:

/scripts/updatenow;/scripts/upcp --force

5. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

Hmm, and here I thought I was taking it easy.

How is explaining how to rebuild an rpm database through these forums a managed service? If offering help through these forums (and thereby building the value of these forums) is a managed service, then I know a few people who are owed some money. That includes you for listing the command. Do you feel you performed a managed service?

Remind me again of what bearing any of this has on suggesting that people try to contribute more through these forums for the sake of those that come later.

6. haze

haze Well-Known Member

I just meant, it shouldn't be cPanels job to rebuilt the users rpm database. Seeing as cpanel provide a simple click to rebuild via WHM. It wasn't meant to anyone in perticular, so take it with a grain of salt ( as with much of what I say; read everything ).

One of the most important jobs of a system admin ( be it *nix or windows ) is to research first, and ask questions later. Rebuilding an RPM database is not exactly rocket science and the information is out there for you to find. For instance, a search on these forums turns up quite a few results: http://forums.cpanel.net/search.php?searchid=102961