CPanel Not Automatically Updating

urantian

Jan 26, 2005
Fayetteville, Arkansas
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I frequently receive the following email message about CPanel.

"cPanel Update (upcp) is already running. Please wait for the previous upcp to complete, or kill off all upcp processes and try again. You may wish to use '--force' at /scripts/upcp line 43."

In the "Show Current Running Processes", it shows the following:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1838 (upcp) /usr/bin/perl.#prelink# (de /root
cPanel Update (upcp) - Master
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1840 (upcp) /usr/bin/perl.#prelink# (de /
cPanel Update (upcp) - Slave
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My current version of CPanel is 10.8.2-C118, and I see that version 11.x has been released. My server is configured to automatically upgrade to the current release. Should I kill the above processes to get things working? I'm asking first, so I can avoid a big mistake.

Thank you!

---Michael

Last edited:

cPanelNick

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 9, 2015
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
I frequently receive the following email message about CPanel.

"cPanel Update (upcp) is already running. Please wait for the previous upcp to complete, or kill off all upcp processes and try again. You may wish to use '--force' at /scripts/upcp line 43."

In the "Show Current Running Processes", it shows the following:

1838 (upcp) /usr/bin/perl.#prelink# (de /root
cPanel Update (upcp) - Master
1840 (upcp) /usr/bin/perl.#prelink# (de /
cPanel Update (upcp) - Slave
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My current version of CPanel is 10.8.2-C118, and I see that version 11.x has been released. My server is configured to automatically upgrade to the current release. Should I kill the above processes to get things working? I'm asking first, so I can avoid a big mistake.

Thank you!

---Michael

It looks like something is stuck. Please open a ticket @ https://tickets.cpanel.net/submit/

Spiral

BANNED
Jun 24, 2005
ps -ef | grep upcp | grep -v grep

That should give you the PID number for the running /scripts/ucp ...

kill (whatever the pid number is)

/scripts/upcp --force

urantian

Jan 26, 2005
Fayetteville, Arkansas
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
ps -ef | grep upcp | grep -v grep

That should give you the PID number for the running /scripts/ucp ...

kill (whatever the pid number is)

/scripts/upcp --force
Thank you. I killed those two processes.

According to the v11.x documentation, it recommends Perl v5.8.8, and I have v5.8.6 installed. I ran the "Update System Software" and the server did not find the latest version, and re-installed 5.8.6.

I found the 5.8.8 files, but do not know how to manually install it. However, if I install it, will the server try to re-install 5.8.6 on its next refresh?

I wonder whether I need to now turn off the automated CPanel update, if v11.x is not intended to run on Perl 5.8.6.

---Michael

urantian

Jan 26, 2005
Fayetteville, Arkansas
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Update

After killling the apparently stuck processes, WHM/cPanel upgraded to 11.x on its own during the next schedule.

I also applied all of the recommended updates to Perl and mail.

However, some of the client cPanel status displays still show Perl 5.8.6 installed, while others now reflect 5.8.8.

Does something need to be done for them to reflect the upgrade?

---Michael