Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

cPanel on Pentium D Dual Core? Or go with Xeon?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sneader, Mar 28, 2006.

1. sneader

sneader Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi all. I'm in the process of adding a new server and am looking for some advice. The server I am considering has the following specifications:

• 2U Chassis w 6 Hot-Swap SATA Bays and 350W Hot-swap redundant Power Supply
      \--- (460W Hot-Swap redundant power supply available for an extra charge)
    • 1 x LSI MegaRAID SATA 150-6 6-port 64MB cache raid controller With LSI Battery Back-up Pack
    • 1 x Intel SE7230NH1LX motherboard
    • 1 x Intel Pentium D Dual Core 820 2.8GHz 800MHz 2x1MB Cache
    • 3 drive 250GB SATA RAID with hot spare
      \--- (4 x 250GB SATA HDD Seagate Near-Line Storage Series w/5 yr warranty)
    • 1 extra 250GB SATA for cPanel backups (will also use off-server FTP for backups)
      \--- (1 x 250GB SATA HDD Seagate Near-Line Storage Series w/5 yr warranty)
    • 2GB = 2 x 1GB DDR2 ECC PC2-5400 Motherboard-Validated Memory
    • On board dual Intel Gigabit Networks. 2 x RJ45 connectors for CAT6 TP
    • No OS installed (we will install Fedora Core 4 or CentOS)
    • DVD-ROM

I've been asking around and am getting some varying advice with regards to the use of a Pentium D Dual Core for the processor. Seems like many (most?) are using Dual Xeon's these days.

TIA,

- Scott

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Xeon = server
    Pentium = desktop

It's a matter of chipsets, motherbaords, RAM, etc too. If you want a (more) reliable server, go with server components. If you want the cheapest "bang for your buck" then you cvan go with the desktop compnents.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. sneader

sneader Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Intel says Pentium D is a Server Processor

Hi Jonathan. As always, I appreciate your help!

The reason I even considered the Pentium D is that it was developed and promoted as a server platform. One article of many on the Internet that discusses this is at:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20050711214023.html

ARTICLE QUOTE:

As reported before, Intel on Monday released its first server platform built around dual-core Intel Pentium processors. The new product is primarily aimed at cost-effective and blade servers, but can offer performance close to higher-end 2-way Intel Xeon-based machines.​

Switching to Dual Xeon is going to add significant cost, but I will probably go that route, due to your concern.

- Scott

4. keith@dito.ca

keith@dito.ca Member

The Dual core will do fine, but Xeon will do better

I have deployed numerous servers of varying flavors and from my experience in most cases the processor is not the server bottleneck. Although Dual Xeon is a great way to go, I am not sure that it will be worth the extra cash unless you are sure that the D core will come up short. Having used many D core chips in the last 6 months I have to say that their performance/price is excellent. Just my 2 c.

The comment above that Xeon = Server and Pentium = Desktop really is not appropriate, it can happen that way, but it is by no means an either/or scenario. I have seen many a Dual Xeon desktop build, and many a D core server build... they all have their place depending on projected bottleneck...

* another key consideration for using a Dual Core is the reduction in power consumption for equivalent processing power, although this may not be a concern for you, along with lower cost it is one of the key selling points to D core.

KW

#4 keith@dito.ca, Mar 31, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2006
  5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Oh, I do agree that it's not an either/or situation, which is why I qualified the remark. You'll probably find Intel pushing the D core at the server platform simply because it doesn't yet have a Xeon dual-core chip out to compete with the AMD Opteron dual-core chips. The dual core Xeons are on their way.