The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cpanel on subdomain - 502 Bad proxy error

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dtorr1981, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Dtorr1981

Dtorr1981 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Hi All,

I am a reseller and have recently started experiencing problems following a migration to a new server. I access cpanel through my domains as cpanel.mydomain.com, which works fine I can do pretty much everything i need to do, until i try to use phpmyadmin.

At various stages (sometimes before it even opens) i get the 502 Bad proxy Cpanel error page.

This seems to happen normally when i try to perform an action on the database, such as an SQL file import, a record delete or an export. If I am just viewing the data this seems fine.

Due to firewall rules, I am unable to connect using the designated ports (2083/2082) thus the subdomain connection is my only method, but with this error when trying to work in the databases I'm pretty much stuck and may have to search for another host. They have been looking in to it, and are usually quite good but it seems i'm going round in circles with them over this.

Could this be a configuration issue on the new server? Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thank you in advance,
    Donna

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Could you report this issue to your web hosting provider so they can take a closer look at the cPanel error log to determine potential reasons this is happening?

Thank you.

3. Dtorr1981

Dtorr1981 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    I already have, but the issue has not been resolved. I though if I could get some feedback on the problem from here I could pass it over.

Can you confirm whether the cpanel subdomain is a standard feature with cPanel installations? If not i'll need to send out some emails to find a reseller that I can use it with.

Regards
    Donna

4. Dtorr1981

Dtorr1981 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Are there any logs I can access as a reseller?

Regards
    Donna

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Proxy subdomains are enabled by default, but it's possible your hosting provider has disabled the feature. It's documented under the "Domains" tab at:

Tweak Settings - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

As a reseller, you can access cPanel for the affected domain name and view the "Visitors" option to see if anything is logged when attempting to access the proxy subdomain:

Visitors - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

You may want to ask your provider to review the Apache error logs when this happens to see if the access attempt is blocked for a specific reason.

Thank you.