The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPanel on VPS Node

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lamb Host, May 29, 2013.

1. Lamb Host

Lamb Host Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I am going to be setting up a VPS node with KVM.

Here's my concern:

My DNS will not be on the node itself. I have three CPanel dnsonly VPSs with ns1-ns3.

So the node will need to cluster with those right? In order to be found?

So how do I do this? I don't think you install CPanel on the node itself, since it'd be a waste of a license. But how do I cluster with my nameservers so that I can reach the node, such as to control the VPSs and such? Otherwise how will it resolve?

I hope this makes sense.

2. ThinIce

ThinIce Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This is somewhat getting into network design, i.e in how your node will be accessible (or not) from the wider internet is a concern from various pov including security. There is no need to run a dns server (cPanel) directly on the host node and this is in fact probably highly inadvisable, you can simply point a dns record to it from your dns infrastructure if you want one for the purposes of more easily accessing it's IP for management.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

DNS is not required on your VPS node because it only has to be accessed over it's IP address. If you want to access it via a hostname, you can add a DNS entry for it on one of the individual cPanel servers. The DNS for the individual cPanel servers can be handled by the DNS-Only servers that you configure after you enable clustering:

cPanel - Configure Cluster

Thank you.