The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cpanel or Sys Admin or Both?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by m178591, Jul 29, 2005.

1. m178591

m178591 Registered

I am looking at a purchase of Cpanel/WHM to run a hosting setup on Fedora. I have been told that with Cpanel / WHM that practically all of the server admin can be managed through the control panel and very little server admin other than what is done through the control panel is required. I have seen other posts which say that no matter which control panel software is used there is no substitute for good systems admin skills. If I buy this software, I will be the commercial partner in a project with the other partner providing the techniical skills. However the technical guy cannot provide 100% technical support (he has to sleep somtime!) meaning I will have to provide technical cover some of the time. Could anyone give me some idea whether it is practical for me to manage the server some of the time through the control panel or whether in looking after an active web server those of you who are more experienced at linux server administration still spend significant amounts of time working from the command line rather than through the control panel. I dont doubt that good server admin skills are a requirement, what I am trying to understand is the degree which the reliance on these skills is reduced by using something like CPAnel.

Hope someone can advise on this.

Thanks in advance

Mark

2. giggsey

giggsey Registered

cpanel

So far I've had my server 100 days, running cpanel/whm.

Its also been up for the time its been in my property without a reboot, but thats not important.

So far I have been able to do everything with cpanel and ssh :)

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

The statement that:
    is completely accurate. cPanel is software that helps you setup and configure a full web hosting environment for you. It does not do the work of a server administrator. That said, if you are willing to learn, it's a good platform for you to do so. If you don't have the time or inclination to learn server admin skills you would need to consider using a server admin either on an ad hoc basis or sign up to one of the monthly management companies out there.

Lastly, Fedora is not a good OS for running a production server, as it is meant to be for developers and people who like to live dangerously and get their hands dirty at the OS level. You should look at a more stable Linux distribution, such as RHE or CentOS, or FreeBSD if you prefer BSD.