The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel OS-dependent issues

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Iron_Butterfly, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Iron_Butterfly

I'm absolutely not familiar with cPanel but I have some experience with Plesk. I know that Plesk is package based and an OS-update-sensitive software. There are arise some dependencies problems when you update OS, for example.

I know that cPanel is not package based software and I would like to know - is there any problems when you perform OS update or upgrade with yum on server where cPanel is already installed? Could you please share your experience regarding this procedure? How much cPanel is sensitive to OS update? Whether there are any problems with dependences or something else?

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    In your WHM, under Update Preferences on left menu under Server Configuration section, you can adjust your update preferences and see what cPanel takes care of.

http://docs.cpanel.net/twiki/bin/vi...panelUpdates#What_does_the_Update_System_Soft

As far as OS updates go, I guess that would depend on the OS and the updates involved. For example, I probably wouldn't want to update RHE3 to RHE5. I'd get a new server with RHE5 and move my accounts over to it.

3. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    For CentOS and RHEL we exclude from system updates ( e.g. yum update ) packages that would cause issues. These exclusions are added to /etc/yum.conf.

Sometimes the exclusions cause an issue. These issues are most often related to software installed prior to installing cPanel. This is why we recommend a base, or minimal, install of the OS before installing cPanel.

4. Iron_Butterfly

Thank you for clarifications.

But gcc existence on server is not good idea from security point of view. Any hacker can compile something if he has access to server.

And if I correctly understood OS upgrade is not possible? cPanel should be migrated from old server to server with new OS version. Is it correct?

5. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    This list should prove helpful to you: Recommended Security Settings Checklists

To be more precise, the cPanel accounts should be moved to the new server. You don't actually migrate cPanel itself.

6. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    That's debatable. Having access to a compiler simplifies some matters, but it could be just as easy to upload a precompiled binary (unless the attack vector targets a vulnerability in the compiler to accomplish the privilege escalation). Regardless you can limit use of the compiler to a specific group.

Red Hat systems are not designed for in place version upgrades ( e.g. 4 - > 5 ). People do perform such upgrades but these are generally not recommended.

7. Iron_Butterfly

Is it not recommended from cPanel point of view? Could you please clarify why it is not recommended with more details?
    Thank you.

#7 Iron_Butterfly, Sep 21, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2010