The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPanel parking questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by YKdvd, Sep 14, 2004.

1. YKdvd

YKdvd Registered

I've been given access to a CPanel account and I've run into a couple of issues in regards to the domain parking feature. From the WHM manual "Tweak Settings" info, it looks like CPanel users can have a couple of optional restrictions set on parking, one to ensure the nameservers are local ("Allow Creation of Parked/Addon Domains that resolve to other servers") and another to require the parked domain to be actually registered ("Allow Creation of Parked/Addon Domains that are not registered").

1) Are these two Tweak settings configurable at the reseller or end-user level, or (as seems implied) is there only a single global setting for each at the root admin level?

2) Do these settings only affect the CPanel users? Could a reseller use the WHM parking facility to do this for a CPanel user caught by one of these restrictions, or would their WHM parking still be restricted by these settings?

There also seems to be a quirk when trying to park a Canadian ".ca" subdomain. From CPanel, if I try to park, say, the top level "apple.com" and the subdomain "developer.apple.com", I get the expected DNS warning in both cases. I get this for a top-level ".ca" domain such as "oberhost.ca" as well. But if I try to park "sub.oberhost.ca", I get an error saying "Cannot determine nameserver ip...Please make sure it is registered". I think the problem is that CPanel is doing a ".ca" registrar whois on the subdomain, and the Canadian registrars return a (in this case irrelevant) message about city and province third level registrations.

http://www.dot.ca/whois.ca?action=whois&domain=chronic.dvdinfo.ca

Presumably CPanel should just be ignoring this and following the top level registration delegation to check the subdomain, the way it did for the "developer.apple.com" example, but it doesn't. I assume this means that even if I had a CPanel account with the "DNS" parking tweak turned off, I'd also need the "actually registered" check turned off as well to successfully park a ".ca" subdomain?

2. AbeFroman

AbeFroman BANNED

They have internet in Yellow Knife?

3. AbeFroman

AbeFroman BANNED

1) Are these two Tweak settings configurable at the reseller or end-user level, or (as seems implied) is there only a single global setting for each at the root admin level?
    >>No, they are only configurable at the root level. A reseller could add aol.com, yahoo.com, and hotmail.com and collect all email sent to something @thatdomain.

2) Do these settings only affect the CPanel users? Could a reseller use the WHM parking facility to do this for a CPanel user caught by one of these restrictions, or would their WHM parking still be restricted by these settings?
    >>Yes, a reseller can park a domain in WHM that a user could not add.

4. YKdvd

YKdvd Registered

Who needs it more than us... :)

This seems to contradict (1) a bit? Do some of the parking tweak settings affect resellers/WHM and others not? I'll try and get the reseller who gave me the account to try the parking. I really only need the "vhost" entry (or whatever the proper Apache term is) so the webserver responds to the domain - since the DNS is external I don't need any DNS setup for it, although I guess it is a package deal with CPanel. Presumably the reseller could delete out the DNS records the parking creates.

Also, I seem to have confirmed the problem with parking third-level ".ca" domains. I have registered a ".ca" and ".net" domain, and have them set up at ZoneEdit. If I created NS records for "sub.mydomain.net" and point them to my CPanel host's DNS, I can park this subdomain on my account using CPanel. If I do exactly the same thing with "sub.mydomain.ca", CPanel reports back the "Cannot determine nameserver ip for sub.mydomain.ca. Please make sure that it is registered with a valid domain name register" error. This seems to confirm that CPanel is doing a whois lookup on "sub.mydomain.ca" and getting confused by the warning the Canadian whois system generates in this case. I found a Bugzilla reporter here at CPanel, and have submitted this as bug #1252.

#4 YKdvd, Sep 17, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2004