YKdvd

Registered
Sep 14, 2004
Yellowknife, NWT, Canada
I've been given access to a CPanel account and I've run into a couple of issues in regards to the domain parking feature. From the WHM manual "Tweak Settings" info, it looks like CPanel users can have a couple of optional restrictions set on parking, one to ensure the nameservers are local ("Allow Creation of Parked/Addon Domains that resolve to other servers") and another to require the parked domain to be actually registered ("Allow Creation of Parked/Addon Domains that are not registered").

1) Are these two Tweak settings configurable at the reseller or end-user level, or (as seems implied) is there only a single global setting for each at the root admin level?

2) Do these settings only affect the CPanel users? Could a reseller use the WHM parking facility to do this for a CPanel user caught by one of these restrictions, or would their WHM parking still be restricted by these settings?

There also seems to be a quirk when trying to park a Canadian ".ca" subdomain. From CPanel, if I try to park, say, the top level "apple.com" and the subdomain "developer.apple.com", I get the expected DNS warning in both cases. I get this for a top-level ".ca" domain such as "oberhost.ca" as well. But if I try to park "sub.oberhost.ca", I get an error saying "Cannot determine nameserver ip...Please make sure it is registered". I think the problem is that CPanel is doing a ".ca" registrar whois on the subdomain, and the Canadian registrars return a (in this case irrelevant) message about city and province third level registrations.

http://www.dot.ca/whois.ca?action=whois&domain=chronic.dvdinfo.ca

Presumably CPanel should just be ignoring this and following the top level registration delegation to check the subdomain, the way it did for the "developer.apple.com" example, but it doesn't. I assume this means that even if I had a CPanel account with the "DNS" parking tweak turned off, I'd also need the "actually registered" check turned off as well to successfully park a ".ca" subdomain?

AbeFroman

BANNED
Feb 16, 2002
They have internet in Yellow Knife?

AbeFroman

BANNED
Feb 16, 2002
1) Are these two Tweak settings configurable at the reseller or end-user level, or (as seems implied) is there only a single global setting for each at the root admin level?
>>No, they are only configurable at the root level. A reseller could add aol.com, yahoo.com, and hotmail.com and collect all email sent to something @thatdomain.

2) Do these settings only affect the CPanel users? Could a reseller use the WHM parking facility to do this for a CPanel user caught by one of these restrictions, or would their WHM parking still be restricted by these settings?
>>Yes, a reseller can park a domain in WHM that a user could not add.

YKdvd

Registered
Sep 14, 2004
Yellowknife, NWT, Canada
AbeFroman said:
They have internet in Yellow Knife?
Who needs it more than us... :)

AbeFroman said:
>>No, they are only configurable at the root level. A reseller could add aol.com, yahoo.com, and hotmail.com and collect all email sent to something @thatdomain.

>>Yes, a reseller can park a domain in WHM that a user could not add.
This seems to contradict (1) a bit? Do some of the parking tweak settings affect resellers/WHM and others not? I'll try and get the reseller who gave me the account to try the parking. I really only need the "vhost" entry (or whatever the proper Apache term is) so the webserver responds to the domain - since the DNS is external I don't need any DNS setup for it, although I guess it is a package deal with CPanel. Presumably the reseller could delete out the DNS records the parking creates.

Also, I seem to have confirmed the problem with parking third-level ".ca" domains. I have registered a ".ca" and ".net" domain, and have them set up at ZoneEdit. If I created NS records for "sub.mydomain.net" and point them to my CPanel host's DNS, I can park this subdomain on my account using CPanel. If I do exactly the same thing with "sub.mydomain.ca", CPanel reports back the "Cannot determine nameserver ip for sub.mydomain.ca. Please make sure that it is registered with a valid domain name register" error. This seems to confirm that CPanel is doing a whois lookup on "sub.mydomain.ca" and getting confused by the warning the Canadian whois system generates in this case. I found a Bugzilla reporter here at CPanel, and have submitted this as bug #1252.

Last edited: