Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

SOLVED cPanel php-fpm not restarting

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by rob_gc_12, May 2, 2018.

1. rob_gc_12

rob_gc_12 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    When upgrading from 70.0.26 to 70.0.31 I had no issues. But when provisioning a new server at 70.0.31 I am getting the below problem.

## The issue
    When I create a new website on a subdomain it works for a few minutes then shows the error:
    ```
    Service Unavailable
    The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Additionally, a 503 Service Unavailable error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
    ```

If I tail the `apache2/error_log` and refresh the web page I get this:
    ```
    [Wed May 02 15:29:12.931381 2018] [proxy:error] [pid 23528:tid 140003464619776] (2)No such file or directory: AH02454: FCGI: attempt to connect to Unix domain socket /opt/cpanel/ea-php70/root/usr/var/run/php-fpm/01ec0cf803682d3d54723265378c356d92c1d647.sock (*) failed
    [Wed May 02 15:29:12.931430 2018] [proxy_fcgi:error] [pid 23528:tid 140003464619776] [client 120.29.52.39:54765] AH01079: failed to make connection to backend: httpd-UDS
    ```

Now sometime after around 5-10 minutes it will start working again on its own. (maybe after it restarts php-fpm itself)

## The temporary solution
    But if I go into the WHM `PHP-FPM service for Apache` and manually restart the php-fpm service, it will start working straight away.

2. rob_gc_12

rob_gc_12 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ok couldn't edit the above because your system says it's spam so ill add it here:

After the WordPress website is created there is a delay of 2 minutes before the .htaccess file is created (inside the public_html). As soon as these are created the website dies with the '503' error.

Even if I try and create it before the apache does it just appends the below and then dies:
    ```
    # php -- BEGIN cPanel-generated handler, do not edit
    # NOTE this account's php is controlled via FPM and the vhost, this is a place holder.
    # Do not edit. This next line is to support the cPanel php wrapper (php_cli).
    # AddType application/x-httpd-ea-php70 .php .phtml
    # php -- END cPanel-generated handler, do not edit
    ```

If I manually restart php-fpm after the website dies it works again, or as said before it will start working itself again after 5-10 minutes (I assume when cPanel restarts php-fpm itself).

As I don't have a clear time when apache will do this I can't confidently restart php-fpm. So the website always have a downtime when provisioned.

#2 rob_gc_12, May 2, 2018
    Last edited: May 2, 2018
  3. rob_gc_12

rob_gc_12 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Seems the issue is happening on servers upgraded from earlier versions as well.

4. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @rob_gc_12

Thank you for reporting this, it looks like we received reports of this issue overnight as well leading to the internal case CPANEL-20179. The issue is marked as critical and our development will be working on resolving it as soon as possible. The only workaround right now is to restart PHP-FPM as you had done already.

I would like to know, once you restart PHP-FPM manually after adding an account do you continue to experience issues with it?

Thank you,

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. B.K.

B.K. Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What's the status of this case?
    This bug has quite some impact and since v70 has been pushed to release I am hoping for an urgent fix.
    Thanks for the update

6. cPanelLauren

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. cPanelLauren

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hello,

An update was pushed last night to provide a resolution for this. It was pushed to v70.0.42 please let us know if there are any further issues with this once updating

Thanks!

8. gfserver

gfserver Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ok, thanks very much!