Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SOLVED cPanel php-fpm not restarting

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by rob_gc_12, May 2, 2018.

1. rob_gc_12

rob_gc_12 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    When upgrading from 70.0.26 to 70.0.31 I had no issues. But when provisioning a new server at 70.0.31 I am getting the below problem.

## The issue
    When I create a new website on a subdomain it works for a few minutes then shows the error:
    ```
    Service Unavailable
    The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Additionally, a 503 Service Unavailable error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
    ```

If I tail the `apache2/error_log` and refresh the web page I get this:
    ```
    [Wed May 02 15:29:12.931381 2018] [proxy:error] [pid 23528:tid 140003464619776] (2)No such file or directory: AH02454: FCGI: attempt to connect to Unix domain socket /opt/cpanel/ea-php70/root/usr/var/run/php-fpm/01ec0cf803682d3d54723265378c356d92c1d647.sock (*) failed
    [Wed May 02 15:29:12.931430 2018] [proxy_fcgi:error] [pid 23528:tid 140003464619776] [client 120.29.52.39:54765] AH01079: failed to make connection to backend: httpd-UDS
    ```

Now sometime after around 5-10 minutes it will start working again on its own. (maybe after it restarts php-fpm itself)

## The temporary solution
    But if I go into the WHM `PHP-FPM service for Apache` and manually restart the php-fpm service, it will start working straight away.

2. rob_gc_12

rob_gc_12 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ok couldn't edit the above because your system says it's spam so ill add it here:

After the WordPress website is created there is a delay of 2 minutes before the .htaccess file is created (inside the public_html). As soon as these are created the website dies with the '503' error.

Even if I try and create it before the apache does it just appends the below and then dies:
    ```
    # php -- BEGIN cPanel-generated handler, do not edit
    # NOTE this account's php is controlled via FPM and the vhost, this is a place holder.
    # Do not edit. This next line is to support the cPanel php wrapper (php_cli).
    # AddType application/x-httpd-ea-php70 .php .phtml
    # php -- END cPanel-generated handler, do not edit
    ```

If I manually restart php-fpm after the website dies it works again, or as said before it will start working itself again after 5-10 minutes (I assume when cPanel restarts php-fpm itself).

As I don't have a clear time when apache will do this I can't confidently restart php-fpm. So the website always have a downtime when provisioned.

#2 rob_gc_12, May 2, 2018
    Last edited: May 2, 2018
  3. rob_gc_12

rob_gc_12 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Seems the issue is happening on servers upgraded from earlier versions as well.

4. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @rob_gc_12

Thank you for reporting this, it looks like we received reports of this issue overnight as well leading to the internal case CPANEL-20179. The issue is marked as critical and our development will be working on resolving it as soon as possible. The only workaround right now is to restart PHP-FPM as you had done already.

I would like to know, once you restart PHP-FPM manually after adding an account do you continue to experience issues with it?

Thank you,

5. B.K.

B.K. Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What's the status of this case?
    This bug has quite some impact and since v70 has been pushed to release I am hoping for an urgent fix.
    Thanks for the update

6. cPanelLauren

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
  7. cPanelLauren

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hello,

An update was pushed last night to provide a resolution for this. It was pushed to v70.0.42 please let us know if there are any further issues with this once updating

Thanks!

8. gfserver

gfserver Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ok, thanks very much!