The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel/Plesk vs Hypervisor

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cpanelbuddy, May 8, 2010.

1. cpanelbuddy

cpanelbuddy Member

Sorry am super new to this cPanel/Plesk control panel business. Am planning to use it only to ease setup of mail and DNS stuff. However, I believe majority of people use cPanel/Plesk as a hosting company to slice out part of the server for customers paying for shared managed hosting websites? If so, how does it differ than say if I install a hypervisor like ESXi, OS, and then cPanel? Basically I am trying to understand the difference between the two following methods.

Method 1
    Physical Box -> RHEL -> cPanel -> Website 1
    -> Website 2
    -> Website 3

Method 2
    Physical Box -> Hypervisor -> Virtual Box 1 -> RHEL -> cPanel -> Website 1
    -> Virtual Box 2 -> RHEL -> cPanel -> Website 2
    -> Virtual Box 3 -> RHEL -> cPanel -> Website 3

Thanks!

2. xerophyte

xerophyte Well-Known Member

There is no difference between installing cpanel on VPS and Physical box. But the physical box is better because there is no small over head by visualization environment.

3. d_t

d_t Well-Known Member

M1 is better if you have many small-to-medium websites on the same server.

M2 is of if you want to split server between 3-4 big websites or reseller accounts with big sites. Web server scales better in this case but each cPanel install take about 1-2 GB space from each VPS.

A mix between those two methods looks interesting (like central cPanel that manage each VPS) but is not currently supported.

4. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

I am a little bit concerned about your underlying thinking, motivation, and reasoning behind asking this particular question.

The question demonstrates you do have basic awareness of more advanced topics but at the same time asking this question suggests you don't really don't totally understand the very topic you are asking which thus brings about a bit of an enigma here.

(That probably goes "whoosh" past a lot of you -- just thinking out loud here)

Per above, I would deduce that you know that Cpanel can be deployed under dedicated, vps, and cloud type configurations and are asking in a round about way which is the better of these to use.

The answer to that base question really depends on your situation ---

Are you planning on selling hosting?

Are you going to be offering more dedicated / isolated hosting?

Are you only providing web hosting for your own site(s) alone?

Do you have a lot of sites or just a few sites?

How much traffic do you get to your sites?

How much of a budget are you willing to invest?

All of these questions would provide a much larger scope and context to the answer to the question that you originally asked.

In example, there would be absolutely no point to get a dedicated server and bust it down into smaller VPS servers if the only thing you are running is a couple of your own web sites. In the same context, if that is what you were running, there may be no point in having a full dedicated server either. It all really depends on WHAT you plan to do!

Tell us all a bit more about what you plan on doing with your server ---

Why are you interested in Cpanel?

What are your plans? Are you opening up a hosting service?

Do you just want something to be able to better manage your sites?

Knowing this would tell me a lot better what would be the best course for you and subsequently the best way to setup and deploy your server(s)