wswd

Aug 9, 2005
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
It sounds interesting. Especially the price.
Why didn't more people switch to them? Is it because transferring accounts is too much effort?
Or are there important features of cPanel/WHM missing from DirectAdmin?
It's a really nice product. Not quite as refined as cPanel, but honestly, most end users don't care. A ton of smaller companies switched on the last increase. It's just too difficult for a lot of the bigger companies to migrate. But I assure you, a lot of people dumped cPanel after the last increase.

bejbi

PartnerNOC
Jan 20, 2006
Poland
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
For us, changing the price when last changing the billing model was a big problem.

Now I find out that the prices are being raised again for the next year. And even that is not the worst. The worst thing is that it is an announcement of a regular pay rise every year.

Maybe for cPanel customers in the US this is not a problem - but for smaller countries in Europe such prices becomes unprofitable.

Reactions: Christopher Zeman

Hatsumi

Jul 15, 2008
So please tell me - before they delete my post - what are the best competitors to cPanel/WHM and how mature/usable are they?
What are other, neutral web forums to discuss alternatives to cPanel in case they delete this thread?
1) DirectAdmin is the "best" next thing, but honestly it's garbage compared to cPanel from personal experience
2) WebHostingTalk forums

Reactions: Gino Viroli

Hatsumi

Jul 15, 2008
It sounds interesting. Especially the price.
Why didn't more people switch to them? Is it because transferring accounts is too much effort?
Or are there important features of cPanel/WHM missing from DirectAdmin?
I'm in the process of moving all my accounts from cPanel to DA, and I can tell you.. I wish I can come back to cPanel one day after they get burned from bleeding customers. DA is horrible in comparison, feels like an amateur'ish beta product. A lot of things don't work out of the box like cPanel and you need to do many things on SSH that are just a few clicks in cPanel, and all the documentation for these functions come out of a Google search that point to forum threads that are hopefully still there when you need them. Changing PHP extensions etc requires a long rebuilding process whereas in cPanel it's a breeze with EasyApache. The interface in DA is completely counter-intuitive, ugly, slow, with many things that you change still requiring some commands in SSH to complete (that you are not told about until you google it cause it didn't work).

But well, it's cheap and many providers even offer it for free, so there is that. At the end you get what you pay for. Note that I'm not defending cPanel here, they are capitalist rats looking only to squeeze out profits and milk the cow as long as it lasts, but hey that's business.

kernow

Jul 23, 2004
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Were lucky enough to have purchased a life time license many years ago ( no longer available ) so the price increase doesn't affect us. But in a survey of our clients a few months ago we found that over 60% of clients ( many being clients for >10 years ) had never even logged into cPanel. They used the mail and FTP instructions provided in the welcome email and that's all they ever want. So for us and probably others here too, cPanel is mainly for admin use and so switching to another control panel like Direct Admin should not be a worry.

Reactions: Christopher Zeman

Gino Viroli

Oct 2, 2007
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Were lucky enough to have purchased a life time license many years ago ( no longer available ) so the price increase doesn't affect us. But in a survey of our clients a few months ago we found that over 60% of clients ( many being clients for >10 years ) had never even logged into cPanel. They used the mail and FTP instructions provided in the welcome email and that's all they ever want. So for us and probably others here too, cPanel is mainly for admin use and so switching to another control panel like Direct Admin should not be a worry.
Well but, if they use the mail, how do you think to fight incoming SPAM for your customer using DirectAdmin? How do you think to track error in outgoing mail with DirectAdmin?
cPanel/WHM Mail Delivery Reports works pretty well to track problems in received/sent emails

Jul 1, 2015
Silver Lake, WI
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey Everyone,

We appreciate you reaching out and want to discuss this with you as well as hear your concerns. So that we may best do this, will you each please send a private message to me with the following information so that we may put you in touch with someone who can help?
I don't think so. I'm a tiny customer compared to many, but I'm also one of many I'm sure you will lose. These increases are ridiculous! Goodbye, cPanel. I migrated all my clients to a new server running ApisCP (less then 2/3 the cost and at least twice as better!) and shut the cPanel server down about an hour ago. It's wrong for you to see how far you can push people and then attempt retention. You guys screwed up.

Reactions: PeppaPigKilla

The Old Man

Feb 24, 2016
UK
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Ah, CPanel, Plesk and et all. :rolleyes:Hang your heads in shame, CEOs and Directors. You do know that following the Great Recession, since the age of austerity etc, that hardly anyone has any income anymore thanks to COVID? In 9 months the world has changed. Do the right thing, go the opposite route, reduce the cost, it will make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside and clients of your competitors will flock to you.

Everyday I believe more and more that the sooner humanity moves away from money, corporate greed, appeasing shareholders and we ditch the same old routine, the better for everyone and everything.

Reactions: PeppaPigKilla

kennysamuerto

May 20, 2009
Last year's price increase was hard, but understandable. It was understandable, that after so many years, cPanel would raise the price.

This year's increase is unfair and shows a bit of affection for their customers.

It is a real stab, moreover, in the times in which we are, that comes a very big crisis.

cPanel, I am very disappointed. I'm not just a customer with a license, I'm a cPanel partner.

Xlogic

Registered
Nov 4, 2020
Italy
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
The time has come to change the control panel, with cpanel we currently spend over € 20,000 per year, we will probably use Plesk and pay a tenth of what cpanel asks for.

I think cPanel is the most unfair company in the world, you can't bring the hosting world to its knees like this, shame. Are you just greedy for money, your services don't justify your price, what do you sell gold or software?

Goodbye cpanel forever, you have exaggerated. I hope everyone changes control panel to let you know how wrong you are.

ethical

Apr 7, 2009
its really disgusting to be honest. not sure why there havent been anyone mentioning interworx (not sure if allowed to post links, but just google it) they look really good compared to directadmin (used it before, it was as others said like a bad beta version) it is also improving and was bought by liquidweb and they are working on improving it for their clients as well. i am not ready myself to pull the trigger on moving, but this would be the one i will jump too when i am ready.

mballew8

Registered
Nov 4, 2020
Florida
cPanel Access Level
Reseller Owner
The second price increase comes.

What has Cpanel done in the last 1 year and wants a raise from customers?

Where is Centos 8 support? Do you deserve these prices?

https://go.cpanel.net/store-license-guide
As a reseller owner, with a small number of accounts and already trying to figure out how to cut hosting costs during these difficult economic times, it clearly shows the wrong mindedness of cpanel executive management, making the fatal mistake of letting financial numbers to fully drive enterprise policy decisions, fatal as it always means the customer will loose out, as that is the easiest way to make the financial numbers look better next period, next quarter.

However, lets look at the positive, they have had a sweet walk with their product line with little real commercial competition, this is an ideal position for any tech company to be in, even better news is that this will certainly work to continue to peek the interests of silicon vc's looking for market opportunities. I look forward to profiting from future ipo's and introduction of lower priced more refined platforms. In the meantime, there are free alternative, albeit not perfect, they are free and at the end of the year, what is cpanel telling us is most important, the financial numbers.