hukphil

Registered
Feb 23, 2021
UK
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
So much complaining about price increases, I don’t get it. Costs go up everywhere every year.

If you can’t absorb it, pass it on to your customers, it’s not like they don’t know that things go up each year. Power, cell phone, fuel, food, why is it that people think if it’s on the internet it has to be different?

The hosting industry is the only industry I can think of that has been busy destroying its own revenues and margins year after year because everyone insists on competing in price.

Some costs just have to be passed on

Reactions: cPRex

Woogs

Jul 22, 2003
So much complaining about price increases, I don’t get it. Costs go up everywhere every year.

If you can’t absorb it, pass it on to your customers, it’s not like they don’t know that things go up each year. Power, cell phone, fuel, food, why is it that people think if it’s on the internet it has to be different?

The hosting industry is the only industry I can think of that has been busy destroying its own revenues and margins year after year because everyone insists on competing in price.

How about you read the rest of the thread first and understand the true complaint?

People are complaining that the price is increasing, yet the value of what is offered is going down. One prime example is how long it took cPanel to support CentOS 8 - because they have yet another financial benefit to drive people towards Cloud Linux instead.

Pretty sure cell phone pricing, fuel and other items have decreased in price over the years... Remember when you paid per text, per minute, and per MB of data on your cell phone.

Last edited:

Hatsumi

Jul 15, 2008

other things don't suddenly go up hundreds of % overnight.

hukphil

Registered
Feb 23, 2021
UK
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
How about you read the rest of the thread first and understand the true complaint?

People are complaining that the price is increasing, yet the value of what is offered is going down. One prime example is how long it took cPanel to support CentOS 8 - because they have yet another financial benefit to drive people towards Cloud Linux instead.

Pretty sure cell phone pricing, fuel and other items have decreased in price over the years... Remember when you paid per text, per minute, and per MB of data on your cell phone.
You think that the delay in rolling out CentOS support was due to the drive to CloudLinux? Do you have proof of that or is that just your opinion? (All of what I say are just my opinions).

I didnt have a ton of people wanting CentOS 8, CentOS 7 is still in support and now CentOS have changed how they operate, even less wanting it so TBH it wasn’t a thing, although I was of course interested in the pace of development and future OS support.

cPanel went years without a price increase, Oakley bought them, now prices are going up year on year, you’re right. Are Oakley doing that to get more money, yep, I reckon you’re right, that’s capitalism at work there.

Are we getting no additional value? Depends. It costs money to keep developing software. They make a product I, along with customers seem to want to keep using, and we do see incremental changes.

I can think of other software vendors who push their prices up year on year and that’s fine with me as long as a) they keep developing and supporting their products and b) people still want to use it and c) it isn’t totally disproportionate to inflationary increases elsewhere and the pay in people’s pockets.

In regard to prices not going up it depends where you live and what you buy I guess, but prices in general go up if you compare year on year expenditure (Covid effects not withstanding)