The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel Primary Domain

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PsyberPixie, Jan 10, 2012.

1. PsyberPixie

PsyberPixie Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hey,

I have just setup a new account using the WHM changed the nameservers of the domain which has resolved, I then added another domain using the addon domain and pointed it to the public_html directory this 2nd domain works fine and the page loads correctly however the accounts primary domain if i put www. in front i get a not found error, if i dont put the www. infront i get a default web site page saying "If you feel you have reached this page in error, please contact the web site owner:" and asks me to clear my cache. Any help on this would be great has the domain not fully resolved or is this another issue e.g. the primary domain pointing to the root instead of the public_html folder.

Thanks
    Dean

2. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am somewhat confused as to what exactly you have done.

An addon domain is nothing but a subdomain with an alias. For example, assume for a moment that you have an account with the domain mydomain1.com. If you add an addon domain named mydomain2.com, then what is added is a subdomain named mydomain2.mydomain1.com, with an alias to the subdomain's document root. The subdomain would have its own subdirectory inside the public_html directory, and the subdomain could be accessed either as mydomain2.com or mydomain2.mydomain1.com.

You seem to be saying that you made the document root for your addon domain to be public_html itself, not a subdirectory of public_html, the account's main domain's document root. If all you want is an alias to the account's main domain, then you should add the second domain as a parked domain, not an addon domain. What I think you are trying to describe just makes the situation more complicated than it needs to be.

What, exactly, are you trying to accomplish? If you can explain exactly what you want to see happen, we should be able to explain a better way to do it that is less confusing.

3. PsyberPixie

PsyberPixie Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    i have the primary domain as .co.uk which seems to not work when i visit it i get the cpanel default website the second domain is a .com that essentially with point to the same place i added this using the addon domain and pointed to the public_html.

The primary .co.uk domain is not working properly my initial thoughts are this is pointing to the document root i.e. the folder that the public_html folder is contained in.

4. cPanelJared

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The primary domain would have public_html as its document root. public_html is the document root for every new account you create.

You need to make sure that the domain resolves to the same IP address as the IP address the account is configured for in the WebHost Manager. Also, have you tried restarting the Apache httpd service to make sure it is reloaded its configuration file?

5. PsyberPixie

PsyberPixie Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The whois says its resolved, ill wait for 24 hours to make sure though.

6. cPanelJared

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    "Resolve" means that a domain can lead to an IP address when a DNS query is made. I know that the word is sometimes used in different contexts, but when talking about domain names and IP addresses, that is all it means. It has nothing to do with whether a site loads in a browser (another common usage I see). "What IP address does this domain resolve to?" simply means "What IP address do I get back when I do a lookup on this domain?"

whois tells you nothing about what IP address a domain resolves to. All whois tells you is some information about the registrar, registrant, and the nameservers that are authoritative for the domain. There is nothing in the whois output that tells the IP address the domain resolves to.

To see which IP address a domain resolves to, use the host command. The syntax is the same on *nix or Windows:

Code:
    host domain.tld
    Replace domain.tld with the actual domain in question. The host command, or the dig command, will show you the IP address a domain resolves to, right now. whois will not.

We would probably be able to help you better if you submit a ticket so that we can log into the server and look at your server directly. There is no charge for this. Please reference this thread's URL when you submit a ticket so the analyst can refer to this discussion.