The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cpanel print="DOMAIN" gives "yourdomain.com"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dgbaker, Nov 1, 2002.

1. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cpanel print="DOMAIN" gives "yourdomain.com&q

Okay - Weird on, I noticed this morning that any script that uses the tag &cpanel print=&DOMAIN&& now shows yourdomain.com literally. It is not showing any name for any client. It just says
    &cpanel print=&DOMAIN&& = yourdomain.com

Anyone else seeing this? I am going to open a ticket on this for myself.

2. dgbaker

PartnerNOC

Fixed was on 5.2 build 108 ran upcp to 5.3 problem gone away.

3. bmcclure

bmcclure Well-Known Member

Same problem... I'm running 6.4 (the latest STABLE release as of yesterday). WHen I go to change the master catch-all account it says:

Default Address Maintenance

All unrouted mail will be sent to:
    Fatal! Write Failure: /etc/valiases/yourdomain.com. Ignore any messages of success this can only result in failure!
    yourdomain.com: bmcclure

the domain is actually pcgsmail.com. It shows up as pcgsmail.com everywhere else and everything works, but not email.

4. dgbaker

PartnerNOC

When we had that problem, if I remember correctly it was due to incorrect file/directory permissions on /var/cpanel/users/username

5. bmcclure

Permissions are the same as our working accounts in that directory... I've tried terminating and re-creatign the account a couple times as well. It was successul each time, but it still shows up in that option as yourname.com. Any ideas?

This server goes production tomorrow night. I think I might reinstall RedHat 8 and cPanel right before that and start fresh since we've moving networks and changing IPs.

I'm having another problem with email too... I can check POP and send through SMTP, but the mail I send never goes anywhere and I never get any messages I send to myself ... I'm stumped there.

Finally, stupid me, when I was setting up CPanel I left the default IP there, which defaulted to my local IP (192.168.1.99) ... everythign still works, websites still work, etc., but the IP shows up as my local server IP on everyone's account.

I tried changing the IP in setup in WHM and making a new account, but then for soem reaosn that domain just went straight to the default account on the server. hmmm...

Ideas? Thanks.

6. dgbaker

PartnerNOC

Okay, first things let's check that file are correct.

In /etc/hosts

Check that it has the right IP and hostname and that the next line is 127.0.0.1 localhost

In /etc/wwwacct.conf

check to ensure proper names and IP's are in there.

In /etc/resolv.conf

Make sure it have the right nameserver ips.

Also, have you tried a different cpanel theme? :D

7. bmcclure

127.0.0.1 localhost
    192.168.1.99 black.andhosting.com black andhosting.com

That's my hosts file (black is the correct hostname)... should the 192.168.1.99 lien be my WAN IP isntead of my the server's local IP?

my wwwacct.conf file also lists 192.168.1.99 as the IP (I changed it back to 192.168.1.99 in my settings in WHM as well because it doesn't work if the accounts are on my WAN IP)

My resolv file:

domain darkorb.net
    search darkorb.net
    nameserver 127.0.0.1
    nameserver 66.197.217.11
    nameserver 66.197.217.12

I'm guessing that's the default.

I'm going to be reinstalling RedHat 8 on this server tomorrow once it gets to the new location and then reinstalling CPanel with our full license (we're running the demo now) to start with a clean slate on the correct IPs. I'll make sure i set the correct IP when it's at its permanent location tomorrow night (it's on my home network right now). I'll let you know if I have problems then still.

I do have one question if you know ... We've got an empty name server (ns2). The main hosting server is ns1. Is there a way CPanel can insert records onto NS2 as well, even though it's not running CPanel or anything? Thanks.

8. dgbaker

PartnerNOC

As far as I know ns2 would also have to running cpanel in order for the zone files to be updated.

Good luck with the rebuild.

9. bmcclure

So what do most people do with their nameservers then? Just have one active one? It doesn't seem worth it to purchase anothe rlicense just for a nameserver. Is that what you do?

10. dgbaker

PartnerNOC

We have them spread across multiple servers. Once we get moved to our new datacenter next week, our nameservers will also be geographically setup on each coast line as well.

ns1 - West Coast - different IP segment
    ns2 - East Coast - different IP segment
    ns3 - Central - different IP segment

11. bmcclure

Then you do have different licenses of CPanel for all of them I take it? We're still a small hosting company, we just acquired many of hte customers ofa few other hosting ocmpanies, so we're going to have about 200 accounts to add to our current 160 or so. THey currently are on Sun boxes with no control panel or admin software what-so-ever (they call us for EVERYTHING). I'd like everythign automated, which is why we wetn with CPanel on our new server that we're going to move people over to soon.

I want everything to be automated, however, when new customers sign up. I don't want to have to create the name server records. Isn't there some type of script one could run to copy the NS records from NS1 to NS2? One of the hosting companies (the one who did EVERYTHING manually) had a script that did this. I could create a job for that to happen every x amount of minutes perhaps, riht?

12. dgbaker

PartnerNOC

I guess you could yes, although with that many accounts to manage and support costs I would probably get cpanel loaded on it.

You could get a script that copies the zone information over, but you wuold need to be carefull that zonefile structure is compatible. Not all zone files look a like.

13. Juanra

Juanra Well-Known Member

The name servers needn't be cpanel boxes. We have a small dedicated name server in Spain and a VPS in Boston acting as a secondary nameserver. All Cpanel boxes are slaves of the primary name server, with which they have an SSH trust relationship setup from WHM. Once configured everything works OK and Cpanel adds and modifies zones and reloads them automatically (as long as you have /usr/sbin/ndc defined). There are some things that we could improve but it's fine like this for now.

14. bmcclure

Any documentation on this? I'm not a total newbie with Linux, but I am with nameservers and I've never used an SSH trust relationship.

Our CPanel box IS our primary name server right now just because I didn't know how to set it up to automatically create records on another server. Would it matter too much for the relatively small amount of accounts we have right now that they're sharing a server, or should we get two separate nameservers?

Any help you can provide on the trust relationship and getting this working? We're moving the server to our new location tonight so I want to make sure everything's up and running by then. I'm not asking you to walk me through it or anything, don't worry :D I just want to know if anyone knows of any good documentation for doing this? Thanks.