The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel Pro - The first review

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rs-freddo, Feb 9, 2004.

1. rs-freddo

rs-freddo Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What Pro is and what it is not:
    Pro currently represents four new features,
    1. "Submit a support request" - a simple helpdesk.
    2. "Image Manager" - server side image converter, resizer.
    3. "Boxtrapper" - Active Spam Killer with some webGUI functionality.
    4. "Leech Protect" - a database enables .htaccess system that monitors logins to try to find multiple logins.

Pro does not help developers integrate apps into cpanel. The same old "<cpanel BoxTrapper="accountmanagelist(manage.html)">" type usage is still around.

So what's the point?
    cPanel have sold a number of licenses to big NOCS - these include contracts to supply cpanel at a specified price for a specified time. This basically means cpanel can't raise their prices. What they can do is bring out a new product! cPanel Pro means an end for new features in plain cPanel. All new features will now be in Pro only. This is good news indeed for those that don't want new features, only bug fixes.

So what about the new apps?
    1. Support request is a great feature - however it is not available for the defacto User Panel available at https://domain.com:2096. It is still admin-centric and fails to address the needs of end users.
    2. Boxtrapper is a ASK clone. It does address the needs of the end user and is integrated into the defacto User Panel.
    3. Image manager will be CPU intensive. There are plenty of free image managers for desktops, why make it a server function?
    4. LeechProtect is not useful to my clients. I have very few that use .htaccess enough to warrant worrying about a few people sharing passwords.

What's the price tag?
    At the current time cPanel isn't saying. I guess they want some feedback on how much you're prepared to pay. Remember all new features will be in Pro - however cpskins, rvskins and fantastico may decide to offer software that does the same thing for cPanel plain.

2. anand

anand Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    nice review rs-freddo. I believe we already talked on most of this in another thread with u in it. ;)

3. casey

casey Well-Known Member

No new features in cpanel? Tell me it ain't so! I don't like this idea. I was never one of the ones complaining about new features. :(

4. rs-freddo

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thought i'd put it all together...

5. anand

anand Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    ya good for ppl who never read that lengthy thread.

6. Dreamer

Dreamer Well-Known Member

Re: Re: cPanel Pro - The first review

Some new features with be there, I believe, not all. If cPanel stops adding features to non-pro many ppl will get angry and stop using it (not that they'll find more feature packed CP anywhere..:)).

As you see, in Pro there are features that are not really needed by everyone not say most. Yes, they are fine and cool, but usable (depends on the user) and needed (same) are different things ;)

7. casey

casey Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: cPanel Pro - The first review

Well I don't care for any of the features currently listed as cpanel pro. I'm just worried about stuff like saving easyapache settings, etc.

8. rs-freddo

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Re: Re: Re: Re: cPanel Pro - The first review

I mean't "new features" as like additional features. I imagine that cPanel plain will continue to have enhancements to already existing features. Eventually though, the developers will have done most enhancements and that will be that.

9. hotice007

hotice007 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

This "Pro" idea is ridiculus! The price is already way above competitors, and now they want to release something new that will costs more!?

10. Dreamer

Dreamer Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: cPanel Pro - The first review

Same with me, Casey. Although these features won't be bad to have, I don't really need them... and care much about them :)

11. dwh2

dwh2 Well-Known Member

Pro worries me a lot and I doubt the big NOCs who fund all this will be happy at all. This can easily affect the stability of both products. Managing resources on two projects is a nightmare. I doubt it will work and think it is ill conceived. Just my opinion.

12. AlaskanWolf

AlaskanWolf Well-Known Member

Nick of all people has to understand that we the small guys, who pay $42.50 per license are the guys getting burned over and over again anytime he decides add something that will cost even more a month

But who cares about the little guy, i figure what, we pay a large chunk of all revenue per month that Cpanel takes in... so who cares what us smaller partner NOC's think.....just as long as the large nocs who pay $10 a license are happy, keep coding!

13. Tripster

Tripster Active Member

I agree, while cPanel plain is still chock full of bugs the developers are off creating some new monster they expect us to pay them more for when a lot of us already feel they're asking too much now?

I'm all for new products, but only if the original product works as advertised 100% rather than the current hit and miss situation I find across servers. This morning I get to deal with a server where users cannot access their added FTP accounts using ftp.domain.com but can using the IP directly (pure-ftp), so I have switched back to proftpd again to see if that helps, but what a nightmare.

Not only that the users must now recreate those addon FTP accounts once again.

Oh, I switched to pure-ftp a few days back since proftpd was writing zero byte files for a couple of people.

Last month I had to abandon one server where I was quite happy with the supplier, but CPanel had no clue why the authentication system got to the point of the box being useless entirely.

14. voxtreme-matt

voxtreme-matt Well-Known Member

I think Cpanel will have a hard task selling this based on existing track record...

Any official word on this?

15. GOT

GOT Get Proactive!

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    You know, I quit using Ensim over this exact type of strategy.

Its funny that what brought me to cpanel will drive me away from it.

16. nickn

nickn Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I don't understand the complaining.

It's an add-on of features that most users would not want in mainstream CPanel.

It's used to show programmers how easy it is to develop addons for CPanel.

If you want to purchase it, purchase it, if not, don't. Now, as for the features, Image Manager doesn't belong in mainstream CPanel, nor does Leech Manager.

The other two features, I could see being a good addition to CPanel. However, I don't understand why whine.

Nobody's going to force you to purchase it.

17. rs-freddo

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Not correct, all four features are as tightly integrated into cPanel as spamassassin, guestbooks or any other cPanel feature. I've looked through the code, there is nothing new as far as making things easier for developers.

18. ssilvius

ssilvius Active Member

Only if those rumors where true...

A rock solid system management api that was easy to manage each cpanel box from a centralized application. They don't need to provide the app! Just the api!

cPanel then could focus on really needed things like the many bug fixes we all whine about and adding features that really matter, like automatic SPF records.

Hell it would open many new revenue doors for them, a supported system that would replace many self rolled api's out there? A Godsend.

Let's face it. Nick and his crew do wonderful work automating things. They really don't know where to start when it comes to usablity.

I'm sad I can't get busy re-writing my hacks to create a truely outstanding experiance for my clients.

19. dwh2

dwh2 Well-Known Member

Due to years of experience watching companies making the same kind of mistakes as cpanel is about to. If their product was really solid, then it might be time to think of something like this. But there is still a lot to be done on cpanel before we're there. Just my take, though I have to admit that cpanel has become much much much better than it was when I first started using it.

20. hoobastank68

hoobastank68 Active Member

I think CPanel should be busy fixing up some of the bugs thats been around for a long time instead of adding more features for more $$$ ;)

Just my 2C.