The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel Proxy best way to access cPanel from behind firewall?

Discussion in 'cPanel Developers' started by Phoenixce, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Phoenixce

Phoenixce Registered

Hello,

I would like to know how I could access cPanel and Horde or SquirrelMai via HTTP from behind my office's restrictive firewall? While behind my home firewall, I simply enter mydomain.com:2086 into Firefox, and to access webmail its the same URL, but with a different port and I have no problems connecting.
    I was hoping I could solve this through DNS, and create an entry such as cpanel.mydomain.com, but I've been told this wouldn't work. I have considered setting up SSH and forwarding my session to cPanel, but I have a client who faces the same issue, and SSH with a proxy is beyond his capabilities.
    My last thought is to use cPanel Proxy, but I do know how secure it is, also considering I would require it on my VPS hosting multiple domains. So, I would like to know your thoughts on cPanel Proxy, or if you can recommend another solution for a client and I to access cPanel and webmail though a tight firewall.

Thanks

2. mohd_007

mohd_007 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hello,

I your office's firewall is blocked in server you cant access you control panel in any way and you shouldn't be able to access your website from your home.

3. Zepplin

Zepplin Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  4. Phoenixce

Phoenixce Registered

i decided to setup a SSH server on my home pc, and that combined with Remote Desktop I can access my cPanel just fine. :)