Cpanel rejecting .eml attachments

jallen

Registered
Aug 29, 2007
I know of all the reasons to block .eml. But I am not in a position to do so.

So onward:

I need to be able to forward email as .eml (Outlook & Thunderbird), but Cpanel bounces them back. I was able to temporarily solve that by removing eml from bad attachments in this file:

Code:
/usr/local/cpanel/etc/exim/sysfilter/options/attachments
(I did a search and removed eml)

Then a few days later, these attachments are back in that file.

I just discovered ANOTHER file:

Code:
/etc/cpanel_exim_system_filter
Which looks very much like the attachments file. So I think by not editing the latter, the former got overwrote. I'm not sure what the relationship of these two files are, so I am hoping someone can clue me in.

I do have "ASSP Deluxe for CPanel" But this is happening on exim level not ASSP.

Tim

ps: this is on a Redhat 4 machine.

mtindor

Sep 14, 2004
inside a catfish
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
In future Cpanel updates, /etc/cpanel_exim_system_filter may get overwritten if you edit it.

Solution:

1. cp /etc/cpanel_exim_system_filter /etc/cpanel_exim_system_filter_custom

2. Then edit /etc/cpanel_exim_system_filter_custom and remove the eml| from the four noncommented lines that reference it.

3. Then log into WHM, click on Exim Configuration Editor, and change the system filter at the bottom from /etc/cpanel_exim_system_filter to /etc/cpanel_exim_system_filter_custom . Save the changes

Now Cpanel will use /etc/cpanel_exim_system_filter_custom, which if properly edited to remove the 'eml|' references in the particular lines will allow EML attachments to go through in the future.

Downside:

If Cpanel updates /etc/cpanel_exim_system_filter, you won't benefit from the changes.

Mike

I know of all the reasons to block .eml. But I am not in a position to do so.

So onward:

I need to be able to forward email as .eml (Outlook & Thunderbird), but Cpanel bounces them back. I was able to temporarily solve that by removing eml from bad attachments in this file:

Code:
/usr/local/cpanel/etc/exim/sysfilter/options/attachments
(I did a search and removed eml)

Then a few days later, these attachments are back in that file.

I just discovered ANOTHER file:

Code:
/etc/cpanel_exim_system_filter
Which looks very much like the attachments file. So I think by not editing the latter, the former got overwrote. I'm not sure what the relationship of these two files are, so I am hoping someone can clue me in.

I do have "ASSP Deluxe for CPanel" But this is happening on exim level not ASSP.

Tim

ps: this is on a Redhat 4 machine.

shacker23

Feb 20, 2005
Has anyone got a recipe for making changes like this that only apply to one domain or account, rather than to the whole server config? Thanks.

jakeqz

Registered
Jan 6, 2022
UK
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
I know of all the reasons to block .eml.
AFAIK there are none. It's just an email message. There are no more reasons to block `.eml` attachments than there are to block email per se. Sure, there might be attachments within the attachment, but it would be simple to ascertain whether any of those might be risky along the same lines as you do for baseline email messages - you already have the software in place to do that - just recurse.

13 years on and this stupid restriction is not removed. It is not even a restriction on inbound email - it only applies to outbound email.

Dear cPanel, please fix.

cPanelAnthony

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 18, 2021
Houston, TX
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello! This forum post for allowing .eml might help.

Additionally, this other discussion could help as well.