The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel remote mail

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by ChrisWills, Mar 17, 2016.

1. ChrisWills

ChrisWills Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello guys,

I have a cPanel server with several accounts on it. Recently my server's main IP address got blacklisted due to some exploited scripts sending insane amount of emails.

I resolved that, however the blacklisting status remains. I decided to research for an alternative approach and I think that with a remote mail server I will be able to at least cause for the emails sent over SMTP to be properly delivered since most of the spam is sent via the php mail function.

I found few threads describing how to setup a remote mail server for exim, however I am failing to understand how exactly the customers email accounts will send over that server when they are not created there.

Basically I need a way to allow all the email accounts created in cPanel -> Email accounts to be allowed to authenticate in the remote mail server and at least the emails sent over the SMTP protocol to use the remote email server as outgoing.

Looking forward to any good suggestions.

Regards!

2. phillbooth

phillbooth Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It might be easier to add an additional IP to your server and then send email out of that rather than have a completely different server. Id you do this you will want to take a look at the options in EXIM for chaining the the "Domains and IPs" options.

Alternatively to a remote server you could just have a Google/Gmail Business app and do all your email through there.

3. ChrisWills

ChrisWills Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am fully familiar with this, however I am limited in the amount of IP addresses so I cannot add any additionally. Also the Google apps option is not working for me since the domains on the server are quite a lot.

Thank you for your suggestion!

4. phillbooth

phillbooth Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You could always run something like Postfix on a small server or run a second Cpanel server as the email client

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator