The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel Restore - In Drastic Need of Attention

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MattF, Jun 10, 2003.

1. MattF

MattF Active Member

May 5, 2002
    Re: Cpanel Backup - Error Proun, Slow, Buggy

Admittedly, I did not become aware of its shortfalls until I had to restore 300 accounts. I had previously tested it on a few sites which it seems to work fine.

Numerous issues that make it rather concerning.

1) Username of ted_cole, database automatically created as tedcole_<dbname> by cPanel, however cPanel only backups (my figuring) ted_cole_<*> hence missing databases.

2) Addon domains. These are merely subdomains with a ServerAlias in apache.conf, an extra DNS entry and a file in /etc/valiases, which is fair enough, why not?. Cpanel restores the subdomain and points, however does not restore the ServerAlias line in httpd.conf hence add-on domains point to Apache welcome page.

3) Failure to lock httpd.conf whilst writing... Very dangerous. Run multiple instances of restore = bad, users logs into cPanel and adds subdomain = bad. A mess!

4) When trying to restore 300 accounts asap I really don't want Apache and DNS to restart each time and for the raw logs to be restored (initally, that could be done later). Why not have a threaded shell Perl script to restore accounts?

I hope this is fixed if I ever I need to do something similar again (god help me!)

Matt Support Ticket Number:
  2. rasilva

rasilva Member

Mar 18, 2003
    Also, why aren't logs stored in another file, example:

Domain: (username: a)
    account bakup: a.tar.gz
    logs backup: a.logs.targ.gz

Restores would be made in 2 steps, first the accounts then the logs. This could save huge amounts of downtime.

Can someone comment on this?

Thanks. Support Ticket Number:
  3. perlchild

perlchild Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2002
    It would be good if the dns zone would be backed up too, so when you restore, you get all your dns zone edits back as well. Support Ticket Number: