The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cPanel Restore - In Drastic Need of Attention

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MattF, Jun 10, 2003.

1. MattF

MattF Active Member

Re: Cpanel Backup - Error Proun, Slow, Buggy

Admittedly, I did not become aware of its shortfalls until I had to restore 300 accounts. I had previously tested it on a few sites which it seems to work fine.

Numerous issues that make it rather concerning.

1) Username of ted_cole, database automatically created as tedcole_<dbname> by cPanel, however cPanel only backups (my figuring) ted_cole_<*> hence missing databases.

2) Addon domains. These are merely subdomains with a ServerAlias in apache.conf, an extra DNS entry and a file in /etc/valiases, which is fair enough, why not?. Cpanel restores the subdomain and points, however does not restore the ServerAlias line in httpd.conf hence add-on domains point to Apache welcome page.

3) Failure to lock httpd.conf whilst writing... Very dangerous. Run multiple instances of restore = bad, users logs into cPanel and adds subdomain = bad. A mess!

4) When trying to restore 300 accounts asap I really don't want Apache and DNS to restart each time and for the raw logs to be restored (initally, that could be done later). Why not have a threaded shell Perl script to restore accounts?

I hope this is fixed if I ever I need to do something similar again (god help me!)

Matt

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. rasilva

rasilva Member

Also, why aren't logs stored in another file, example:

Domain: a.com (username: a)
    account bakup: a.tar.gz
    logs backup: a.logs.targ.gz

Restores would be made in 2 steps, first the accounts then the logs. This could save huge amounts of downtime.

Can someone comment on this?

Thanks.

3. perlchild

perlchild Well-Known Member

It would be good if the dns zone would be backed up too, so when you restore, you get all your dns zone edits back as well.