The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPANEL SCREWUPS RANT - Profanity Laced - You are Warned

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Elikster, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Elikster

Elikster Well-Known Member

Okay...This is a very blistering post here. Considering I got over 200 god damn servers with CPanel and now Cpanel comes along and make a fucking nightmare with the major fuckup tonight.

It is all due to fucking screwup with the nightly update and it screws over all servers that is running Stable version and they become useless, plus generating License Key Errors, and zlib.so errors and fucking MD5::Digest Errors. all in one fucking night.

Let me make this fucking clear. CHECK YOUR SHIT BEFORE YOU RELEASE IT TO THE FUCKING PUBLIC! You are fucking causing me nightmare and lost customers among other stuff and frankly, I am getting to the point that I might ask others to consider doing class action lawsuit on your ass because of your fucking fuckups. STABLE RELEASE IS TO BE FUCKING STABLE RELEASE AND SHOULD NOT HAVE ANY FUCKING CHANGES BUT YOU FUCKED IT UP!

Now I finally got it off my chest, I suggest you start doing some quality control checks before you release it. I am tired of those problems that you release and I have to stay up all night plus my techs to get those fucking problems resolved!

2. gknight

gknight Member

I agree. I support cPanel for a web hosting company and your unstable releases cause me a great deal of PROBLEMS!!!!!!!! Please, FIX YOUR SOFTWARE!!!!!!! For all that is paid for cPanel Licensing you shouldn't release crap! I have thought many times over if I should write my own Host Management System because every FIX you release BREAKS something else. Do you even know how to Admin a server or are you just a programmer who dosn't know what he is doing. I have read your scripts and some of the things you right make no sense to me, even when I can follow the execution of your code. Please test your software before releases, because YOU ARE CAUSING ME EXTRA WORK ON A DAILY BASIS!!!!!!!

3. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?threadid=19934

We haven't had any problems reported with the release as long as its downloaded properly. Due to the denial of service attack we are currently getting there isn't much we can do to keep our rsync servers up. We will be adding additonal servers to the pool in the next 2-3 hours as soon as they are ready.

4. Devil Inside

Devil Inside Well-Known Member

smooth sailing on my one dippy server.....

5. michael80l

michael80l Member

Woudn't you think your smart enough tooo have it only auto update on something say...like (stable,stable?) If you have 200 servers Iwould sure hate too do each manually and sure woudn't want too fix 200 with a edge update. I would preffer a stable+. Revise your options. I'm a system adminstrator and we only have a couple servers. If you have 200 you would think you would have learned taht by now woudn't you?

Michael

6. porcupine

porcupine Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Fill me in here. Either 1. you dont test "release" yourself and rely on your customers to tell you its broken, or 2. if you're geting DDoS'ed, and your rsync servers aren't up, CPanel will take partial, and incorrect data from Rsync and try to patch it into the exisiting setup and break everything?!

Neither of these things make any sense, nor are they acceptable. I don't condone the language used by the first poster, but your smaller partner NOC's (such as ourselves) pay the *MOST* for your licensing scheme, and *especially* for whats being paid for your panel, this is not whatsoever acceptable.

What steps has DarkORB recently taken on the quality control front? At this pace, there has been several MAJOR issues every quarter, most of them auto updated. Frankly, I'll be looking for a new solution if this keeps up, assumedly since Rackshack started dumping truckloads of money into your pockets for their licensing, you've got a ton more coin with the same old product, so why is quality going *DOWN* instead of up? I can't imagine rackshack uses your support too much.

7. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider

Actually the problem is that the update happens over http & rsync. The http portion gets downloaded and the rsync never finishes so web host manager doesn't get updated. This leads to cpanel and web host manager being out of sync with each other and thus bad things happen.

We've added another rsync server in the mix and things seem to be much better. We're currently working on adding one more in hopes that this will resolve the problem.

8. porcupine

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Well then perhaps you should have a sanity check in there? How hard is it to download and confirm *all* of the files before you begin the updates?!?! This isn't rocket science, theres a reason the chef checks the cupboards before he starts to cook. How about after this you put in a sanity check instead of adding more servers? I'd rather see one or two servers unable to grab their files, or take 30 minutes even to grab them, then see this kinda stuff happen, I'd like to SLEEP on occasion.

9. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    The other option is to eliminate rsync, but with a 160meg download for every update each time, this isn't going to be very feasable.

10. porcupine

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Again, why not simply do a sanity check? Why take a logical suggestion then reply with a completely illogical comment? "Maybe we can get a hacksaw and try to remove all our limbs while we're at it?" - Is that how we're playing this "game"?

11. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Unfortunately when rsync fails it can leave binaries which are the same size and have the same timestamp, but are not byte for byte identical. The only real solution there is to check the md5sum of all the files it syncs and then remove and re-rsync if they don't match. Considering the amount of files, I don't think thats a good solution either. We may end up having to write our own protocol.

12. porcupine

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    ... Ok so why not put the md5sum in a local file, then have the remote system send over the md5sum of the current updates, then only rsync those, and then if the md5sum matches the one that just got sent over, all is well... Save it from needlessly touching all those files it doesen't have to in a manner thats probably a LOT faster then rsync anyhow (comparing new/old *local files*).

13. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    We will be re-writing the whole update system in the very near future. rsync can't stand up to the 300 fake requests per second we are getting. Our rpm update system, which happens over http has been hit with many many many attacks and has never gone down (good old TUX webserver). We'll probably be switching to something that happens over httpd with TUX as its proven to be very reliable, whereas rsync has show how much of a nightmare it can be from tonight.

14. porcupine

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Well thats good, lets hope you can get these issues sorted, because they've been happing a LOT too often, especially on the stable tree, and frankly its driving a lot of people away from CPanel, and thus away from your own customers.

Unfortunatly it looks like crap is still down the drain, and its 5:30am here and I need sleep. I'm posting a message on our forums that says "pop3 is down, please bother DarkORB with your questions, not me", because rsync would appear to still be down/dead slow, and there is nothing your customers can do to fix this mess at this point.

15. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    If there are any servers you can't get back up, please submit a ticket with their information and I will get them up for you.

16. ShAwNz

ShAwNz Active Member

Frankly, given the amount of money we are paying monthly to you, at least put in more effort into the product.

Just my 2cents

17. fastdns

fastdns Member

Dear bdraco :

I have already submitted a ticket , My cPanel ID# 38339 .

Please fix my server .Its hard to pacify clients here, especially when its a working hour of a weekday

Regards,

Rupesh

18. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I've attached a working prototype for the new system

Attached Files:

19. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    and a faster prototype.

Attached Files:

20. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Todays problem is the first for us in almost a year. 10 minutes to fix. So I'm not so sure I agree with this threads topic at all.

No one or no software is perfect, but like the logo above says, cPanel .is.....
    :D

Keep up the good work, cPanel rocks