The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cpanel sending faulty attachment

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by whitewolf, Jul 17, 2012.

1. whitewolf

whitewolf Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hey guys, really desperate for some help, the almighty google couldnt fix my problem which is odd.

The problem im having is that our cpanel mail server seems to get an email from person X with an audio attachment to it (.wav to be specific), then sends to person Y who is using outlook 2010 however when person Y receives the .wav file, it wont play due to the fact that it has lost all of its audio data (might have started off as an 84kb .wav file, but is delivered as an 84kb .wav file, with no playable audio data (after looking into it, it is spacefilled by A's)).

The problem also seems relatively intermittent, with tests of sometimes 1/6 or 2/6 mails having working .wav files.

Here are the extra facts:
    - receiving the same mail through thunderbird works (the exact same attachment that didnt work in outlook 2010, works in thunderbird)
    - grabbing the attachment from webmail also works fine with no issues.
    - in an office with about 50-60 computers, everyone has the same problem, all running outlook 2010.

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you forward that same email from Outlook to another email account, does the file work on the other account if it is using Thunderbird or webmail? If that's the case, it's an Outlook issue not related to cPanel in any way.

3. whitewolf

whitewolf Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Not really too sure what you mean, if i receive the mail on outlook, and then send that mail i received on outlook to another mailbox, then i'd just be sending a corrupt .wav file.

It does seem to be a communication breakdown between cpanel and outlook specifically though, as i've tried sending to other friends of mine who are using different versions of outlook however they're using other mail receiving servers such as exchange. I was just wondering if anyone had similar experiences on the forums or if there was a known issue?

4. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm uncertain if the file is actually corrupted is the thing. If you forward the file to another mail client such as Thunderbird, does it actually not work? This proves if it is corrupted or not. It might just be Outlook itself misreading the file rather than it actually being corrupted. I'm uncertain why this cannot just be tested to confirm the corruption exists rather than it being a working file that Outlook is misreading.

Now, I realize you've checked the file and it appears corrupted, but sending that same file that appears to not work to another location to check the file also still isn't working actually proves Outlook corrupted it rather than it is just misreading it when it still works.

5. whitewolf

whitewolf Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Sorry, having a hard time understanding what you mean. I'll break it down a bit just so we have all the info in one spot:
    1. the .wav sound file is sent to our cpanel pop3 server, if i access the mail via webmail, save the .wav, and play it with a media player, it works perfectly.
    2. if i set up thunderbird to receive mail from our pop3 server and receive a .wav attachment in an email, i can save it to my computer and play it perfectly with a media player as well.
    3. if i set up outlook 2010 / 07 on my computer to connect to the pop3 server and receive a .wav attachment in an email and save it to my computer and play it with a media player, then most of the time it is corrupt and will not play. however 1/6 attachments will play correctly.
    4. if i forward one of the mails that has a .wav attachment which doesnt play on my media player to my friend and ask him to play it, it doesnt work.
    5. i've tried using other pop3/imap servers and they seem to be able to send through .wav attached emails to outlook without a problem with a 100% playable rate (6 of 6 .wav's worked in all cases).
    6. we have about 20-30 workstations all running outlook 2007/10 that are experiencing the same problem receiving attachments from our pop3 cpanel server
    7. this leads me to believe it is a communication error between outlook and cpanel specifically since other email clients work with cpanel, and other mail servers work with outlook, its clearly a specific problem with OL and cpan trying to communicate with each other

6. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    On the emails that are having corrupted .wav files to Outlook 07/10, please check the exim logs for the entry to see if you notice anything for it:

Code:
    exigrep email@domain.com /var/log/exim_mainlog
    Specifically, try to send out a .wav file from a new email account and once you see it is corrupted in Outlook, check the exim logs for that entry.

Next, do you have a firewall running? Are you using SpamAssassin and/or ClamAV? Does the email account in question have any filters setup?

You might try moving the cpanel system filter itself to see if that has any impact. It's at /etc/cpanel_exim_system_filter:

Code:
    mv /etc/cpanel_exim_system_filter /etc/cpanel_exim_system_filter.bak
    Next, do you use anything else like MailScanner or a 3rd party product (plugin) that is scanning mail in any way on the server for incoming and outgoing messages?