The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cpanel server to server move

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Data 1, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Data 1

Data 1 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I have moved several hundred accounts in the past server to server with WHM, no problem.

So I have this one client with 2 large sites on 2 different public shared servers, wants a dedicated. No problem.

I put the first account on the dedicated. No problem.

I start to move the second account. Because both his sites start with "appliance" the cpanel name was applianc. No problem I figure, just when I transfer it in let WHM give it a different local name.

It changed the databases names, no problem to me.
    It changed the databases user name, no problem.

Then it proceeds to change EVERY bit of text in every PHP, INI, HTACCESS, HTML that had the string containing applianc to the new name. BIG PROBLEM. I have been hours chasing this down and still don't feel safe I got it all. It even changed hardcoded links in his forum templates to the new user name.

Knowing this I can avoid it in the future but was wondering what exactly is the logic behind this because it is barely logical at best. Didn't feel like an option to delete the account, change the user name on the one account already on the dedicated and re transfer being that would have taken 3 hours itself.

2. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    What control panel software (and its version) is on the original server?

What is the full cPanel version and build number of the destination server?

Assuming this is of an urgent nature, do you have a ticket open to formally report the issue? If not, given the information provided, I believe it is necessary to escalate the report via a support request so that we may properly investigate the issue and fully inspect the surrounding circumstances.

When available, please send me a PM referencing this thread and your new ticket ID number so I may follow-up internally. For reference, the links in my forums signature may be used to initiate a ticket submission, such as via the following resource: Additional Support Options

3. Data 1

Data 1 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Thank you, but not urgent because I squashed it myself. Just wondering the logic behind this.

From server:
    cPanel 11.25.0-R44675 - WHM 11.25.0 - X 3.9
    CENTOS 5.4 x86_64 standard

To server:
    cPanel 11.25.0-R43473 - WHM 11.25.0 - X 3.9
    CENTOS 5.4 x86_64 standard

We found about 600 files total that the string was changed to the new user name.

Is this usual?

4. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    The described behavior is extremely unusual. I am not aware of any intentional logic that would behave in the manner described; however, I would like to know if the issue still occurs after ensuring both systems have the latest cPanel updates applied.

For reference, the latest builds and version information and change logs are available via the following resources:

If the issue reoccurs after updating to the latest available builds I recommend escalating the issue by submitting a support request so that we may fully investigate the symptoms and specific circumstances involved. When available, please let me know the ticket ID number of your new support request.